74803Re: News: High IQ kids have distinct pattern of brain development

  • Alan
    Aug 31, 2008
      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, artemistroy
      <artemispub@...> wrote:

      > Any updates on this study? These children must have an immunity
      > to environmental pollutants.

      Correcting pre-Flynn-effect (low) I.Q.s -- by taking care of
      basic nutrition, toxins, infections, etc. -- is one thing,
      not terribly difficult (we just DID it, in the developed
      world). Lifting up already-normal I.Q.s is something else
      again. It might not be possible. But maybe it is. Who
      knows? We have not tried yet. The pattern of cortical
      maturation (thin-thick-thin) observed below might be a
      useful measure, a target pattern, when we start
      experimenting with high-tech brain soups -- IGF-1,
      DHEA, thyroxine, etc., probably pulsatile in accord with
      chronobiologic factors yet to be elucidated -- during
      periods of maximal plasticity. Let's try it on sheep,
      first. :-)

      Alan

      > Artemis
      >
      > _________________________________
      >
      > High IQ kids have distinct pattern of brain development
      > By Patricia Reaney
      > Mar 29, 2006, 21:59
      >
      > LONDON (Reuters) - Intelligence may have more to do with how the
      > brain develops during adolescence than its overall size, researchers
      > said on Wednesday.
      >
      > Using magnetic resonance imaging, scientists at the National
      > Institutes of Health (NIH) in Bethesda, Maryland have shown that the
      > brains of children with high IQs show a distinct pattern of
      > development.
      >
      > The cortex, or outer mantle of the brain, starts out thinner and
      > thickens more rapidly in very intelligent children. It peaks around
      > 11 or 12 years old before thinning rapidly in the late teens.
      >
      > "We found that the cortex showed a different pattern of
      development,"
      > Philip Shaw, lead author of the research published in the journal
      > Nature, said in an interview.
      >
      > Youngsters with average IQs had a thicker cortex to start with and
      > peaked earlier before gradual thinning began.
      >
      > Shaw added that the changes were subtle and what is driving them is
      > mystery. Why children have a thicker or thinner cortex initially is
      > also not known.
      >
      > "Brainy children are not cleverer solely by virtue of having more or
      > less grey matter at any one age," said Judith Rapoport, a co-author
      > of the study.
      >
      > "Rather IQ is related to the dynamics of cortex maturation," she
      > added in a statement.
      >
      > The scientists discovered the association between intelligence and
      > brain development by taking MRI scans of 307 healthy children and
      > teenagers, aged 5-19, over 2-year intervals as they grew up.
      >
      > They compared the scans to see how they related to the children's
      IQ.
      > Very intelligent youngsters had scores of 121-145 while high IQs
      were
      > between 109-120 and average between 83-108.
      >
      > The smartest youngsters showed the highest rate of change in the
      > scans. The scientists believe the longer thickening time in the very
      > brainy children might indicate a longer period for the development
      of
      > high-level cognitive circuits in the brain.
      >
      > The researchers added that the thinning phase could involve a "use
      it
      > or lose it" pruning, or killing off, of brain cells and their
      > connections as the brain matures and becomes more efficient.
      >
      > "That might be happening more efficiently in the most intelligent
      > children," said Shaw. "People with very agile minds tend to have a
      > very agile cortex."

    • Show all 2 messages in this topic