56182Re: [evol-psych] Warfare as suicide

    Aug 2, 2007
      At 06:39 PM 8/2/2007 -0400, Irwin Silverman wrote:

      >On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Julienne wrote:
      >
      > > Soldiers are often the angry ..
      >
      > Paradoxical as it may seem, the military is not a good place for
      >angry people and, in my experience, they generally don't do well there.
      >The military is all about subjugation to the group. Angry people tend
      >to resist this. The people who join the military (including yours truly,
      >a long time ago) are mostly adolescents in the midst of an Eriksonian
      >crisis of "identity diffusion."
      > It works, too. The personal bonds and intense feelings of loyalty
      >to the group that you form can drive you to self-destruction if tested,
      >but can also be exhilarating at that time of life and unforgettable.

      Well, perhaps it depends on whether they are forced into
      the army or not. But those who tend to choose to go in,
      when they don't have to, and those in professional armies,
      tend to be angry. Same with the police. People who have
      rage issues tend to go where it ca be legitimate to play
      out that anger.