56124Re: [evol-psych] Warfare as suicide

  • Irwin Silverman
    Aug 1, 2007
      On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Julienne wrote:

      > But it would seem clear to me that such sacrifice is not
      > selected by everyone - and more people do NOT choose it
      > than choose it.

      True enough, when the sacrifice involves forfeiting or risking
      one's life, but the mechanisms of group selection require that just some
      members of the aggregate possess this tendency - enough to give the group
      a competitive edge (often by sheer intimidation, as in the case of youth
      gangs, terrorist organizations, and guard bees)

      Irwin Silverman, Ph.D.
      Emeritus Professor of Psychology
      York University
      4700 Keele Street