54282Re: [evol-psych]do animals 'know'?

  • Robert Karl Stonjek
    Jun 2, 2007

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 2:49 PM
      Subject: Re: [evol-psych]do animals 'know'?

      Andy Lock: I would not wish to deny animal 'subjectivity' , in the sense of their living in a perceptual world.

      Jay R. Feierman: Today, when I was changing the water in my dogs' water dish in the kitchen, I noticed a small black bug on the floor, on its back but with its legs still moving. I proceeded to get a napkin and pick up the bug, crushing it with my fingers through the napkin as I did this. As I looked at the crushed bug in the napkin in my hand, I said to myself, "I wouldn't have been able to do that so easily, if I thought the bug was conscious."

      RKS:
      That is the kind of cross species selection I mentioned in an earlier message - genes that confer human-like consciousness to non-human animals will greatly increase that species chances of surviving in a human dominated world eg Panda bears just happen to be cute, but what if Whales actually managed to communicate with humans, even if that communication was no more sophisticated than their current communication?  What if penguins started dancing for humans?

      Any animal that can readily be tamed or that seeks out human company has a slightly better chance (doesn't help rats, though if they actually waved at humans and made a really cute 'hello' type sound they would be on a real winner - those rats would not only survive but be sort out).

      My prediction - those species that have aspects of human-like consciousness, either for real, by imitation or simply by accident (cuteness of panders) will survive better than those that don't.

      Kind Regards
      Robert Karl Stonjek
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic