4716Re: [evol-psych] Video gaming as an adaptation

  • isa
    Jun 3, 2000
      Fred Weizmann wrote:

      > As far as families being raised in the same place over generations, well
      > there was a lot of immigration in the past which disrupted families and
      > communities. Much of this immigration was internal; people who settled
      > the American West came from somewhere. There was also a lot of internal
      > immigration for economic reasons throughout most of the 20th century,
      > due to the Depression and World War II. The shift from rural areas to
      > cities did not being and end in the 1950s. Even if you stayed in the
      > same place your neighbors may well have come from elsewhere, and this
      > was portrayed at the time, as a real source of social instability.

      I live in Oman where I don't have access to a library where I can research
      anything. However, my recollection is that demographic statistics on
      populations in the USA prior to 1940 showed that virtually all Americans (my
      recollection is in the neighborhood of 85-90%) got married and were buried
      within several miles of their birth place. I am at a loss to verify any such
      statistic, but my thought was based on this statistic.

      While I was in graduate school 30 years ago, one of my courses was on
      migration. Most migrants migrate as families, and as communities. People
      from the same neighborhood migrate to the same neighborhood, get jobs at the
      same employers or in the same industry. This occurs even where the policy is
      to integrate migrants. They move to places where they know people and
      reconstruct their social networks.

      In research on Eastern European Germans (Donau Schwaben or Deutsch-Ungarn)
      )in the Philadelphia area in the 70s, I found that German speakers from
      Yugoslavia immigrating to the USA after the Second World War maintained
      special social network relations, worked for each other, set up businesses
      with each other, formed social clubs and sports clubs and singing societies
      and went to church together, and got married together. They had a word for
      someone from their native community and a member of their network, "Unser
      Leute" Our People. Although there is transition, there is a large scale
      stability of groups.

      In pre-historical sapiens, there was only the local group and there were no
      strangers. One's entire society and every member in it was a given at birth.
      A !Kung could identify anyone and everyone by a footprint and would know
      that person's relationship and all intervening kin.

      All the higher primates have stable social groups which remain stable over
      generations. These groups are formed on the basis of mother daughter dyadic
      bonds and sibling bonds. Stable play groups form the basis for later stable
      social groups. When social groups bifurcate, it is along lines of female
      kinship based groups. Alliances are formed on the basis of sibling bonds.
      That is the basic primate pattern that humans built on. It is the pattern
      found throughout human groups throughout most of humanity's evolution.

      Isa
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic