38319Re: Africa, Race & I.Q... [race & social functioning?]

  • pghiqman
    Oct 2, 2005
      Highly unusual and improbable claims should require some documented
      evidence.

      On September 30, 2005 Roy Sugarman wrote:

      "…in private schools [in South Africa], with equal opportunity, this
      change doesnt exist and the results are equal for both groups
      [Blacks and Whites]."

      I am quite dubious about the veracity of Sugarman's statement since
      all over the world (i.e. in Britain Europe, Canada, Brazil and
      throughout the USA) Black students as a group invariably do much
      worse academically than the White student population. Can Roy
      Sugarman provide some actual references to document his claim?
      Perhaps these are mostly children of the South African Black ultra-
      elite and thus represent a highly selected subgroup of Black
      students? In South Africa the term "Black" was once used to refer to
      people of pure African ancestry and the term "Coloured" was used to
      refer to people of partly European ancestry or from Middle East,
      India (e.g. the young lawyer Gandhi) and Asia. Are these students in
      the private schools that Sugarman refers to actually "Blacks" or are
      they ethnically more similar to those who in South Africa used to be
      called "Coloured"?

      It would be much easier for me to dismiss the race/genetics/IQ
      claims of Jensen and Rushton if there was actually shown to be a
      place where representative populations of Black and White students,
      given roughly equal opportunity, perform at similar levels of
      academic achievement. If Roy Sugarman actually has evidence of this
      I would be very interested to learn more. But I strongly suspect
      that Roy Sugarman is either referring to a very highly selected
      [i.e. non-representative] group of South African Black students or
      he is just expressing some wishful thinking based upon some slim
      anecdotal information with no actual empirical weight.

      Best wishes,

      Roy Frye
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic