37986Re: [evol-psych] Re: Re: IQ tests

  • Mark Flinn
    Sep 2, 2005
      It is possible that the "radical change in their environment" associated
      with the three-fold increase in brain size for hominins may have involved
      different specific factors than that associated with the relatively small
      differences in brain size in birds. IMO we could be looking at apples and
      oranges here. Different parts of the brain are used for different cognitive
      processes. Hominin brains are especially enlarged or changed in those areas
      associated with social competencies (Adolphs, 2003; Geary 2005). However,
      brain evolution in some species of birds also may have as much to do with
      the dynamics of social competition as with physical aspects of the
      environment (Emery & Clayton 2004; Rothe & Dicke 2005).

      In regard to the other string on body size and brain size, there are
      constraints from flying that make such assessments more difficult for birds.
      An additional factor to consider is the different levels of social
      competition that are contingent upon ecological dominance (Ward et al 2004).

      Adolphs, R. (2003). Cognitive neuroscience of human social behavior. Nature
      Reviews, Neuroscience, 4(3), 165-178.

      Emery, N.J. & Clayton, N.S. (2004). The mentality of crows: convergent
      evolution of intelligence in corvids and apes. Science 306, 1903-1907.

      Flinn, M.V., Geary, D.C., & Ward, C.V. (2005). Ecological dominance, social
      competition, and coalitionary arms races: Why humans evolved extraordinary
      intelligence. Evolution and Human Behavior, 26(1), 10-46.

      Flinn, M.V., Alexander, R.D., & Coe, K. (200x). Runaway social selection:
      The linked red queens of human cognition, coalitions, and culture. In
      The evolution of mind, S.W. Gangestad & J.A. Simpson (Eds.), New York:
      Guilford press.

      Geary, D. C. (2005). The origin of mind: Evolution of brain, cognition, and
      general intelligence. Washington: American Psychological Association.

      Roth, G. & Dicke, U (2005). Evolution of the brain and intelligence. TRENDS
      in Cognitive Sciences, 9(5), 250-257.

      Ward, C.V., Flinn, M.V., & Begun, D. (2004). Body size and intelligence in
      hominoid evolution. In: The evolution of thought: Evolutionary origins of
      great ape intelligence, A.E. Russon & D.R. Begun (Eds.), pp. 335-349.
      Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

      On 9/2/05 10:06 AM, "Elaine Morgan" <elaine@...> wrote:

> [...]

      Mark Flinn
      Departments of Anthropology