3212[evol-psych] Re: Rushton on Richards & Eysenck

  • McBride, Dennis
    Feb 29, 2000
      [evol-psych] Re: Rushton on Richards & Eysenck

      A reaction to the most recent Richards goal-line defense:  The endless ad hominem!  As an engineer (and psychologist), I would be flattened to dismiss F = MA because of Newton's  religious, sexual, personal, or other of his totally reprehinsible flaws (if he had them).  Aside from that, why concentrate on such immaterial?  Let's stick to peer-reviewed data and parsimony.  A point about the latter, below.

              First, I think there is a revelation, and a fatal flaw in Richards' sentence:
      "Nobody but an idiot would deny that the major human gene-pools differ
      in the frequencies with which various genes (and their alleles) are
      represented (including those with psychological consequences) - but
      this implies gene-talk, not race-talk."
              Many (Richards?) seem to be obsessed with the idea that nature selects morphology and that there *may* be "psychological consequences" of such selection.  This has to be absurd!  It's the other way around!  Mother nature selects survivable behavior, NOT body configurations.  Recall that selection is produced under the proximal and indifferent stress of survival.  New body gimmicks are (1) of no selectable value (necessarily) and (2) unaffordable (i.e., if they require more kcal).  Thus, it is successful behaviors that get another day (the organism having eaten or mated...), and over time, (A) morphology adapts to an engineering efficiency, not the other direction (predominantly), and *often*, (B) behavior becomes "hardwired," perhaps through a Baldwin-like effect.  As Popper liked to illustrate, let's take the woodpecker.  Do we think that the beak spontaneously elongated (via mutation) and that in time the bird learned to make use of its new, over-engineered beak, i.e., to find food behind bark?  Or did survival pressure force novel behavior first, in desperation, which survived barely effectively and inefficiently (hard pecking produced loss of beak and death in inadequate beaks), until the beak achieved morhpological efficiency.  Thus it is confusing to talk about evolutionary processes having "psychological consequences!"  Changes in behavioral repertoire--psychology--are precisely what evolution IS, as Darwin himself made abundantly clear.

              As to your invoking the inevitability of idealogy.  Speak for yourself.  Since you seem to be obsessed with using science to re-engineer things, I submit that I can build a bridge and I can build a fleet of competent aviators (based on IQ [g]) *equally* well without a political idealogy.

              I think that your algorithm for throwing out explanations is uninformed.  Genetic explanations (hear the increasingly loud sound of that human genome project over the horizon??) are clearly now the more elegant, and thus allegiance to parsimony has mandated a sea-state change in our so-called "default" hypotheses (much as the neuro community understands well.)  The heavy (but deserved<--sorry, personal) burden is now on environmental explanations of reliable and robust group variation.  Such environmental explanations should be crisp -- unburdened by myriad special explanations as they are so so so encumbered today.  And obviously, environmental contributions must "compete" not only with genetic, but e x g interactions as well.  And recall that our environments are not handed to us randomly -- they are in many ways *constructed* around us at the micro and macro levels by our very nature (which is what kept us alive for another day).  That is,  e x g is dominated by g.

              Final thought.  Why your obsession with half-century-old, dead white men?? the Nazi's??  This is not only irrelevant, it is (probably intentionally) insulting.  If you think that the only remedy provided by an understanding of underlying biological mechanisms is Nazi eugenics, your obsession has blinded you.  And if you believe that there are "readily identifiable and remedial" environmental remedies at the micro-level, please share them.  Perhaps you think that by throwing a few trillion more dollars down the tubes of social reinforcement programs, that they might suddenly get traction???  Or that social scientists might get yet more money to constuct ever more complicated special explanations?

      Dennis K. McBride
      Professor
              Psychology
              Engineering