3202[evol-psych] Re: Rushton on Richards & Eysenck

  • J. P. Rushton
    Feb 29, 2000
      Rushton replies to Richards who wrote in words similar to those I heard from my faculty mentors at LSE at that time regarding Eysenck's beating which sounded to me more in excuse than condemnatory. These are repeated following the photo if I get to insert this correctly. Perhaps Graham wants to include it in his biography:

      At left of centre, facing camera, with light hair is Hans Eysenck; at right of centre, also facing camera is Phil Rushton.

      Eysenck....was his own worst enemy - never making his own anti-racism explicit .... You cannot take this
      event out of the context of ... wrath at
      the Vietnam War, assassinations of African American civil rights
      leaders, South African apartheid and the nuclear threat of the Cold
      War. To cast Eysenck as some kind of scientific martyr is absurd.
      ...  If British Psychology treated
      him unfairly (which it has in some respects) this is partly at least
      because temperamentally Eysenck was an autonomous loner who couldn't be
      bothered to try and rebuild bridges and appears in some respects to
      have revelled in his outsidership (hence his autobiography title 'Rebel
      with a Cause').
      Hans Eysenck was a genius anticipating the way the scientific parts of psychology, would go, namely to a bio-social perspective, in which both genes and environment interacted (genes doing much of the selecting of the environments that people end up in). Currently I am engaged in a citation analysis of his life which will be published in due course.

      J. Philippe Rushton
      Department of Psychology
      University of Western Ontario
      London, Ontario Canada N6A 5C2