29687Re: [evol-psych] Re: Carmi Turchick's Murray post re Discomfort of Strangers

  • Mike Miller
    Apr 1, 2004
      On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Roger D. Masters wrote:

      > the INTERACTION effects that were included in my earlier posting (e.g.,
      > Blacks are "vulnerable" to uptake of lead from the environment,
      > controlling for other factors) indicate that the reasons for these
      > "racial" differences are often due to INTERACTIONS of genetics and
      > environment rather than universal biological necessity in a 19th century
      > sense.

      What is your source for the notion that there is a black/white difference
      in sensitivity to the effect of lead exposure? I doubt that we have
      experimental data, so it is probably based on something as dubious as a
      stronger correlation of household lead with IQ score among blacks than
      among whites. If that's what you're talking about, you should know that
      there are much more likely explanations for that correlation. For
      example, black IQ is a stronger predictor of income than is white IQ, and
      income is correlated with the quality of the home and the amount of lead
      exposure. So smarter people are better at buying their ways out of lead
      exposure and this is more true of black people than of white people in the
      United States.

      Sorry that I missed your earlier postings on this topic so my misgivings
      may be misplaced.

      Mike

      --
      Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.