29676Re: [evol-psych] Re: Carmi Turchick's Murray post re Discomfort of Strangers

  • Charles Murray
    Mar 31, 2004
      Good points all, but I think we're on two different subjects. You're
      asking causal questions, and you're obviously right about the need for
      multivariate analysis--and not of groups, I might add, but using
      individuals as the unit of analysis and employing highly detailed data
      on both individual-level and ecological variables. I'm addressing the
      prior question, is there anything to explain? I.e., are racial rates of
      involvement in crime really different, or are they an artifact of bias?
      I don't reach the point of dealing with causation of racial
      differences. Multivariate analysis for my issue need answer only a much
      simpler question (actually, an Aristotelian question): are likes being
      treated alike by the criminal justice system? So a limited amount of
      information about the nature of the offense and of collateral variables
      associated with the occasion for arrest, decisions on charges filed,
      and disposition are adequate--hence my rough-and-ready illustrations
      about drug use.

      Charles Murray

      On Mar 31, 2004, at 2:57 PM, Roger D. Masters wrote:

      > Charles:
      >
      > I've gone back and looked at my own data, and must conclude that a
      > portion of the differential rates of VIOLENT crime by race seem to
      > hold up in multivariate analyses that control for a WIDE variety of
      > demographic and environmental variables. However, the INTERACTION
      > effects that were included in my earlier posting (e.g., Blacks are
      > "vulnerable" to uptake of lead from the environment, controlling for
      > other factors) indicate that the reasons for these "racial"
      > differences are often due to INTERACTIONS of genetics and environment
      > rather than universal biological necessity in a 19th century sense.
      > You say: "Put roughly: Of a hundred black and a hundred white college
      > students who have a couple of joints on the weekend, are there
      > differential arrest and incarceration rates? Of a hundred black and a
      > hundred white drug dealers, dealing in similar drugs and quantities,
      > are there differential arrest and incarceration rates? Of a hundred
      > black and a hundred white males who beat up their women while high on
      > crack or meth, are there differential arrest and incarceration rates?"
      > Measures of differential rates of any behavior that use race without
      > explicitly controlling for other factors are questionable once it
      > appears that there is a good chance of interactive effects of the sort
      > indicated above. If blacks are more vulnerable to uptake of lead than
      > whites AND blacks are more likely to live in old housing with lead
      > paint, then what is the "cause" of a difference in the measures you
      > describe? In short, I think it's time to focus on multivariate
      > analysis EXPLICITLY.
      >
      > roger masters

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic