1895[evol-psych] Re: Iq" genetic or environmental?

  • H. Mark Hubey
    Dec 4, 1999
      Irwin Silverman wrote:

      > Regarding your last point, I have argued also that traits under
      > high selection pressure (directional selection in any case) will show less
      > heritability. (see my paper on r/k theory in Ethology and Sociobiology,
      > 1992), maintaining that the high heritability figures for I.Q. reflect, if
      > anything, the lesser influence of the attributes measured by I.Q. tests in
      > hominid evolution. But again, I do not see that this bears on the

      Even if there was a large enough sample there is an additional problem.
      If I=G+E is used when the correct form should have been I=G*E, then
      (1) the heritability coefficient does not measure the contribution of
      G but rather that of E, and (2) both G and E have to be measured on a
      ratio scale.

      This can be seen clearly in the last section (conclusion) of my paper
      the latest version of which can be found on my site.

      http://www.csam.montclair.edu/~hubey/ZIP/intelligence.pdf

      --
      Sincerely,
      M. Hubey