1853[evol-psych] Re: Iq" genetic or environmental?

  • Irwin Silverman
    Dec 2, 1999
      On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Fredric Weizmann wrote:

      > Arguments about the importance of environments and genes based on
      > relative ontributions to variance frequently lead to that kind of mistake.
      > Yes of course one can compute relative variances, but statements about
      > variance (and heritabilities, which are also based on variances) are
      > quite limited and are descriptive in nature; variances do not constrain
      > change.

      Incontestable as stated, but let's take an informal poll

      Purely hypothetical question - Knowing that heritability indexes
      based on co-twin data range from about .50 to .70, if you were planning to
      contract for sperm or eggs for in-vitro fertilization, would you:

      a) been completely disinterested in the I.Q. of the donor.
      b) be casually but not critically interested.
      c) be critically interested - in fact, insist on the score.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic