17968Re: [evol-psych] Did Early Interest in Eating Meat

  • Irwin Silverman
    Apr 1, 2002
      On Sun, 31 Mar 2002, Stan Franklin wrote:

      > To my knowledge the food sources of chimps, gorillas and baboons are as
      > distributed as those of early hominids. Yet they are not solitary as Crook's
      > analyses would suggest. Perhaps there are limits to the applicability of the
      > conclusions of this analysis.

      The term I used, dispersed, refers to nuts, plant foods, insects,
      etc. which are scattered rather evenly and require continuous foraging;
      hence food searching in large aggregates, flocks or herds, is
      non-adaptive. The contrasting feature about patchy food sources is that
      they are not distributed evenly (e.g. grain), but when located, can be
      shared by a large aggregate, thus rendering group living and food
      searching adaptive. I would regard meat as a patchy food source, though I
      am unaware of anyone else who has made this inference.
      I am not a primatologist but my understanding is that both chimp
      and baboon species have been found to be active hunters and meat eaters.

      As far as exceptions to the model, I am confident there are at
      least some. I believe Daly and Wilson (1983) had a discussion of these.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic