142620[evol-psych] Re: Life after death: Dr Stuart Hameroff

  • Don Zimmerman
    Nov 5, 2012
      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Julienne <julienne@...> wrote:

      > What if we lived centuries ago, and talked about stones falling from
      > the sky? Or flying? Or computers?
      >
      > What if we just don't know yet what the laws involved are?

      DWZ:
      Indeed the future has always brought new scientific developments that nobody expected or predicted. People are inclined to imagine the future by extrapolating in a straightforward way from current knowledge and technology that is alreadty in place, but cannot foresee coming breakthroughs and radical advances. Forecasts are made by extrapolating from what Kuhn called "normal science" without allowing for "revolutionary science."

      So Leonardo da Vinci may have imagined tanks and flying machines, and all kinds of future inventions that actually came about, and Jules Verne may have thought about submarines, but neither of them could possibly have foreseen atomic weapons, lasers, electronic digital computers, or the mysteries of quantum entanglement, not even if their fabulous brains had functioned at full speed ahead 24 hours a day.

      Best regards,

      Donald W. Zimmerman
      Vancouver, BC, Canada
      dwzimm@...