142590Re: Mitt Romney Explain How Jesus Will Reign for 1,000 Years When He Returns, in Jerusalem... and Missouri

  • hibbsa
    Nov 4, 2012
      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Don Zimmerman"
      <dwzimm@...> wrote:

      > --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Karl Stonjek"
      stonjek@ wrote:

      > > It is interesting that you would count only Obama's experience when
      he ran for the presidency the first time. He now has four years
      experience of running the country as president so, as far as experience
      goes, a sitting president always has more experience than a candidate
      who has never been part of a presidential administration in any
      capacity.

      > > I note also that Mitt Romney was passed over in favour of Sarah
      Palin as the vice presidential running mate in the last presidential
      election, which seems to indicate how much confidence the Republican
      party hierarchy had in him at that time...

      > > It will be all over in a couple of days, thank goodness :) (I hope
      you Americans are happy with your choice regardless of whom you choose
      :)

      > DWZ:
      > A large part of the American electorate believes that the President is
      an independent actor who decisively takes charge of government upon
      being elected and whose inner personal qualities and force of will are
      responsible for the course of events. That is far from the truth.
      Actually, the composition of the Senate and the House of Representatives
      plays an equal role in what gets done. Without the cooperation of those
      bodies, the President is a "lame duck" at the beginning, not just at the
      end. Unfortunately, too many voters are not of aware of those facts.

      > And the President from the first day in office is surrounded by a
      network of advisors, appointees, cabinet members, lobbyists, that also
      are most important in decision making. It is true that many of those
      advisors are chosen by the President, but the choice is not completely
      free and voluntary, because payback for financial contributions, the
      need for Senate approval, the public's perception of the other people in
      government, etc., also factor into the picture.

      > Finally, circumstances in the world, completely beyond the President's
      control, also have a lot to do with the history of the nation during a
      term of office. The various wars around the world, unusual weather
      events, famines, earthquakes, shortages, epidemics of disease, uprisings
      in other nations, global warming, meteor strikes, etc., can shape many
      events apart from the determination and heroism of any President.

      > The inner qualities of the mind and splendid personality of an elected
      President are more myth than reality and not the most important
      determinants of what is going to happen to the nation. Congress, the
      public will, environment, circumstances and context, local and global,
      and the flow of historical events in the entire world are hugely
      significant.

      > Best regards,
      >
      > Donald W. Zimmerman
      > Vancouver, BC, Canada
      > dwzimm@...
      > http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a82899

      Certainly you're right (or I agree) in a lot of these observations. Kind
      of as an extension of what you say, I think it very difficult to judge a
      President who does not get a second term. The second term frees the Pre
      sident from some of these constraining factors at least to some extent.
      My overall impression of Obama's first term efforts is one that leaves
      me sufficiently intrigued to want to see what he would do with a second
      term. That's not to say I necessarily agree with, or even understand the
      underlying issues to, many of his policies. But rather, I do think that
      he made good efforts to implement the policies that he said that he
      would implement. I see that as a very important quality over and above
      agreeing or disagreeing with what the actual policies were. So..for
      me...Obama for President! (I also think he is going to win).
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic