142587Re: Mitt Romney Explain How Jesus Will Reign for 1,000 Years When He Returns, in Jerusalem... and Missouri

  • Don Zimmerman
    Nov 4, 2012
      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Karl Stonjek" <stonjek@...> wrote:

      > It is interesting that you would count only Obama's experience when he ran for the presidency the first time. He now has four years experience of running the country as president so, as far as experience goes, a sitting president always has more experience than a candidate who has never been part of a presidential administration in any capacity.
      >
      > I note also that Mitt Romney was passed over in favour of Sarah Palin as the vice presidential running mate in the last presidential election, which seems to indicate how much confidence the Republican party hierarchy had in him at that time...
      >
      > It will be all over in a couple of days, thank goodness :) (I hope you Americans are happy with your choice regardless of whom you choose :)

      DWZ:
      A large part of the American electorate believes that the President is an independent actor who decisively takes charge of government upon being elected and whose inner personal qualities and force of will are responsible for the course of events. That is far from the truth. Actually, the composition of the Senate and the House of Representatives plays an equal role in what gets done. Without the cooperation of those bodies, the President is a "lame duck" at the beginning, not just at the end. Unfortunately, too many voters are not of aware of those facts.

      And the President from the first day in office is surrounded by a network of advisors, appointees, cabinet members, lobbyists, that also are most important in decision making. It is true that many of those advisors are chosen by the President, but the choice is not completely free and voluntary, because payback for financial contributions, the need for Senate approval, the public's perception of the other people in government, etc., also factor into the picture.

      Finally, circumstances in the world, completely beyond the President's control, also have a lot to do with the history of the nation during a term of office. The various wars around the world, unusual weather events, famines, earthquakes, shortages, epidemics of disease, uprisings in other nations, global warming, meteor strikes, etc., can shape many events apart from the determination and heroism of any President.

      The inner qualities of the mind and splendid personality of an elected President are more myth than reality and not the most important determinants of what is going to happen to the nation. Congress, the public will, environment, circumstances and context, local and global, and the flow of historical events in the entire world are hugely significant.

      Best regards,

      Donald W. Zimmerman
      Vancouver, BC, Canada
      dwzimm@...