140430RE: [evol-psych] Re: President candidates being out of touch

  • alex starseeker
    Oct 1, 2012
      I agree Julienne.  And let's get Prop 37 passed in Cali so we can join the rest of the civilized world in labelling Monsanto and its evil cohorts for exactly what they are, no better than the tobacco companies.

      To: evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com
      From: julienne@...
      Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 01:30:37 -0400
      Subject: Re: [evol-psych] Re: President candidates being out of touch

      At 10:57 PM 9/30/2012, Don Zimmerman wrote:
      >--- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Julienne <julienne@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Of course, people have different perspectives, and will answer the
      > > questions from their different visions, - or lack of visions.
      > >
      > > One issue which has for decades confounded me, is how so many elected
      > > leaders, not to mention appointed leaders, tend not to represent what
      > > we might consider to be our "best" people - those with the human
      > > qualities we would think we would admire and want most to represent
      > > us - wisdom, kindness, intelligence, inclusiveness, a broad vision,
      > > empathy, Instead we get people wanting to put probes up women's
      > > vaginas - run prostitution rings in France, deny climate chsnge, join
      > > the banking robbers, steal the vote, grab the cream for the top and
      > > leave millions around the world starving, struggling, dying - and
      > > these issues are hardly a focus - more a passing nod, as if to
      > > acknowledge people know about these issues, and the mere
      > > acknowledgement of knowing gives one points without having to
      > > actually do anything.
      > >
      > > By the way, Don - it is also important to look for the Independents
      > > on the voting sheets - they can be hidden - and so if one just clicks
      > > off one party in a straight vote, one might miss someone running
      > > separately from any party for a local judgeship, for example. That
      > > can have an immense influence on local politics - even national.
      >

      >DWZ:
      >Yes, those human qualities you mention are certainly needed in
      >political leaders at all levels, but getting people who possess them
      >in those positions is not easy. Probably in American society there
      >are selective factors that concentrate the very best leaders (of the
      >type needed in government) in corporations, medicine, law, the
      >military, science and engineering, etc. rather than politics. The
      >best people are attracted to the best paying jobs, and politics ends
      >up with leftovers.
      >
      >As to independent voters, true, they cannot be ignored. What we
      >should watch out for is supporting an independent when it takes away
      >votes from the desired presidential candidate and allows the lesser
      >candidate to be elected. The same for the balance of votes in
      >congress. For example, even thougn I admire Ralph Nader greatly as a
      >consumer advocate, I wish he had stayed out of Pesidental races,
      >because he just attracted Democratic votes that normally would have
      >gone to Kerry or Obama. I fear that third party and independent
      >candidates often are driven more by ego than assessment of what is
      >best and realistic in the outcome of the election.

      Hi, Don,

      I agree with you. However, what I was talking about is a special
      place on the ballot where it is
      not a competition for the Congress, but just for judges, I think. I
      wish I had written down what was said - but it's a special place on
      the ballot for the judges...which we might miss if we just vote
      straight party. If we don't find that set of boxes - only those who
      know about them will - and there go our votes.

      I agree about Nader - The Peter Principle. He also interfered with Al
      Gore, as I remember. It's sad -

      However, perhaps we don't have our best people as corporate heads,
      either. Now, if we could just even
      out salaries, then that might change everything.

      Julienne

      The selection of a Republican candidate for the presidency of this
      globalized and expansive empire is - and I say this seriously - the
      greatest competition of idiocy and ignorance that has ever been.
      Fidel Castro. January 2012

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic