140413Re: [evol-psych] Re: President candidates being out of touch

    Sep 30, 2012
      At 10:57 PM 9/30/2012, Don Zimmerman wrote:
      >--- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Julienne <julienne@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Of course, people have different perspectives, and will answer the
      > > questions from their different visions, - or lack of visions.
      > >
      > > One issue which has for decades confounded me, is how so many elected
      > > leaders, not to mention appointed leaders, tend not to represent what
      > > we might consider to be our "best" people - those with the human
      > > qualities we would think we would admire and want most to represent
      > > us - wisdom, kindness, intelligence, inclusiveness, a broad vision,
      > > empathy, Instead we get people wanting to put probes up women's
      > > vaginas - run prostitution rings in France, deny climate chsnge, join
      > > the banking robbers, steal the vote, grab the cream for the top and
      > > leave millions around the world starving, struggling, dying - and
      > > these issues are hardly a focus - more a passing nod, as if to
      > > acknowledge people know about these issues, and the mere
      > > acknowledgement of knowing gives one points without having to
      > > actually do anything.
      > >
      > > By the way, Don - it is also important to look for the Independents
      > > on the voting sheets - they can be hidden - and so if one just clicks
      > > off one party in a straight vote, one might miss someone running
      > > separately from any party for a local judgeship, for example. That
      > > can have an immense influence on local politics - even national.
      >

      >DWZ:
      >Yes, those human qualities you mention are certainly needed in
      >political leaders at all levels, but getting people who possess them
      >in those positions is not easy. Probably in American society there
      >are selective factors that concentrate the very best leaders (of the
      >type needed in government) in corporations, medicine, law, the
      >military, science and engineering, etc. rather than politics. The
      >best people are attracted to the best paying jobs, and politics ends
      >up with leftovers.
      >
      >As to independent voters, true, they cannot be ignored. What we
      >should watch out for is supporting an independent when it takes away
      >votes from the desired presidential candidate and allows the lesser
      >candidate to be elected. The same for the balance of votes in
      >congress. For example, even thougn I admire Ralph Nader greatly as a
      >consumer advocate, I wish he had stayed out of Pesidental races,
      >because he just attracted Democratic votes that normally would have
      >gone to Kerry or Obama. I fear that third party and independent
      >candidates often are driven more by ego than assessment of what is
      >best and realistic in the outcome of the election.

      Hi, Don,

      I agree with you. However, what I was talking about is a special
      place on the ballot where it is
      not a competition for the Congress, but just for judges, I think. I
      wish I had written down what was said - but it's a special place on
      the ballot for the judges...which we might miss if we just vote
      straight party. If we don't find that set of boxes - only those who
      know about them will - and there go our votes.

      I agree about Nader - The Peter Principle. He also interfered with Al
      Gore, as I remember. It's sad -

      However, perhaps we don't have our best people as corporate heads,
      either. Now, if we could just even
      out salaries, then that might change everything.

      Julienne

      The selection of a Republican candidate for the presidency of this
      globalized and expansive empire is - and I say this seriously - the
      greatest competition of idiocy and ignorance that has ever been.
      Fidel Castro. January 2012
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic