111270Re: [evol-psych] News: Structure deep within the brain may contribute to a rich, varied social life

  • Maarten
    Dec 31, 2010
      Hi Don and all

      In addition to what you mention, there is another and in some ways more worrisome issue:
      It is not just the boosting of the image of the author of this "new" discovery that drives such (near)plagiarism, but also that there is a growing trend for journals (at least those that specialize in the human sciences) to refuse papers that describe replications of earlier studies...
      Even thouh science requires such replications, the papers describing these are considered "not interesting", because they don't sell well.

      Despite this gloomy message, my best wishes for the new year,

      > DWZ:
      > Yes, the "old wine in new bottles" syndrome is rampant today. University undergraduates are especially adept at this scam. What they often do is copy an essay or report from a library book, magazine article, etc., and then do some re-arranging of sentences, changing a few words here and there, adding a little of their own, and so on, and then turn in the product as their own original work. Usually, it is difficult for the teachger to claim that the final result is out-and-out plagiarism, i.e. it is somewhere on the borderline between a word-for-word copy and an original creation.
      > Higher academic echelons have developed this procedure into a fine art. An older theory or experimental study is resuscitated with somewhat newer methodology, new terminology, and so on, and submitted for publication as an original paper. Often the newer paper is indeed an improvement over the first one from years back, because it takes the theory is a slightly different direction, does employ improved methods, etc. But the more recent theorist may be quite unwilling to give due credit to the author from years back. Usually nobody notices. Being first and having the appearance of original creation is in itself a primary motive, because of external circumstances (just as getting an A or B, rather actual creation, may be a primary motive for an undergraduate turning in a term paper.)
      > Best regards,
      > Donald W. Zimmerman
      > Vancouver, BC, Canada
      > dwzimm@...