10807Re: [evol-psych] Biological Theories of Race at the Millennium

  • Ken Moore
    Mar 1, 2001
      In message <003f01c0a247$8e2a79e0$910d883e@pc>, you quote from

      >The Emperor's New Clothes: Biological Theories of Race at the Millennium
      >by Joseph L Graves Jr

      >Only political orthodoxy in a
      >racially stratified society has maintained the race concept for this long.

      Both observation and reported incident lead me to believe that the race
      concept is strongly supported by Man's inherent xenophobia and to
      suspect that it would persist even if political orthodoxy were opposed
      to it. Is anyone working on the evolutionary reasons for xenophobia?
      It must have given substantial benefits at some time in the past.

      > If
      >race does not exist at the biological level, then its
      >use in social and political policy is profoundly flawed."

      Why the conditional? The undefinability and biological undetectability
      of race is one of those things that I have known so long that I forget
      how I learnt it.

      --
      Ken Moore
      ken@...