100651[evol-psych] Re: God commends wife beating to Muslims

  • ED
    Dec 31, 2009

      Taken from the HOLY BIBLE: NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION (C) 1978 by the New
      York Bible Society, used by permission of Zondervan Bible Publishers.

      GENESIS

      2:18  The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I
      will make a helper suitable for him."

      23  The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she
      shall be called 'woman,' for she was taken out of man."

      3:16  To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in
      childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will
      be for your husband, and he will rule over you."

      ESTHER

      1:20  Then when the king's edict is proclaimed throughout all his vast
      realm, all the women will respect their husbands, from the least to the
      greatest."

      22  He sent dispatches to all parts of the kingdom, to each province in its
      own script and to each people in its own language, proclaiming in each
      people's tongue that every man should be ruler over his own household.

      4  Thus is the man blessed who fears the LORD.

      PROVERBS

       12:4  A wife of noble character is her husband's crown, but a
      disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.

      19:13  A foolish son is his father's ruin, and a quarrelsome wife is like a
      constant dripping.

      --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "yanniru" <yanniru@...> wrote:

      > 1 Cor 11: [7] For a man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but woman is the glory of man.
      > Eph.5: [23] For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior.
      >
      > Is that so different from the Qu'ran?

      > --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, "ED" seacrofter001@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Yes, indeed, the automatic and unconscious intrinsic double-standard
      > > proclivity in humans. --ED

      > > --- In evolutionary-psychology@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Owen
      > > <edgarowen@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Donald,
      > > >
      > > > Let's be objective here. That is a very prejudicial English
      > > translation of the original Arabic which is something like 'discipline'.
      > > The idea, which one can find in the Bible and most other cultural
      > > traditions as well, is that the man is head of the family and therefore
      > > it is his responsibility to ensure harmony in the family, by physical
      > > discipline only in extreme cases when the wife is seriously threatening
      > > the well being of the family. This is a time tested system that has
      > > worked and been the norm throughout most of human history up until
      > > recently in western cultures where the government has usurped the
      > > husband's responsibility and authority over his own family.
      > > >
      > > > The goal of this type of unfair reporting is to incite a widespread
      > > clash of civilizations, specifically the west versus Islam.
      > > >
      > > > Edgar

      > > the one superior to the other, and because they spend their wealth to
      > > maintain them. Good women are obedient. They guard their unseen parts
      > > because God has guarded them. As for those from whom you fear
      > > disobedience, admonish them and send them to beds apart and beat them.
      > > Then if they obey you, take no further action against them. Surely God
      > > is high, supreme."

      > > so, perhaps it is not too surprising that He would hold such a
      > > prejudiced and sexist point of view.

    • Show all 57 messages in this topic