Re: [evforum] Flannery O"Connor and EV

  • Rhydon Jackson
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2000
      Although I can't say for sure, I would bet that somewhere in his writings
      Marion Montgomery discusses Flannery O'Connor's reaction to EV. He writes
      fairly regulary on both of them and, from what I understand, argues for many
      parallels between the two.

      On the general subject of influences on O'Connor, if I remember correctly,
      Teilhard de Chardin also made a significant impression on her.

      Rhydon Jackson
    • David Beam
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 16, 2001
        Rhydon,

        I put this out to the <ev forum> some time ago, but it did not generate any
        response. Perhaps, its the time to put it out again.

        Supposedly, Flannery O'Connor's personal copies of Voegelin's _Order and
        History_ were quite heavily annotated. However, I don't remember where I came
        across this information.

        Assuming that they were quite extensive, I have often wondered if it would be
        possible to reconstruct the dialogue she was having with Voegelin, from her
        annotations and the passages in Voegelin that they refer to?

        David Beam

        Rhydon Jackson wrote:

        > It turns out that Flannery O'Connor wrote brief reviews of the first three
        > volumes of Order & History for her diocesan weekly. They are reprinted in
        > The Presence of Grace and Other Book Reviews by Flannery O'Connor. Athens,
        > GA: University of Georgia Press, 1983, Zuber, Leo J. ed. The reviews run to
        > three or four paragraphs each and were written shortly after the
        > publication of each volume.
        >
        > Marion Montgomery discusses the two in his "The Poet and the Disquieting
        > Shadow of Being: Flannery O'Connor's Voegelinan Dimension" (Intercollegiate
        > Review, Fall 1977) and his "Flannery O'Connor, Eric Voegelin, and the
        > Question That Lies Between Them" (Modern Age, Spring 1978)

      • Rhydon Jackson