Re: [evforum] Smash mouth F. Wilhelmsen

  • chip sills
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2002
      Fritz--perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I could not find the full
      Wilhelmsen piece (including the missing paragraph supplied by Rhydon
      Jackson) following the URL you supplied. --Chip Sills

      >From: Frederick Wagner <fjw@...>
      >To: evforum@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [evforum] Smash mouth F. Wilhelmsen
      >Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 16:08:51 -0400
      >
      >Thanks for supplying the missing paragraph.
      >I have also added a complete non-PDF version (but without italics) at the
      >same place:
      >It is called "wilhelmsen_from_text.doc"
      >
      >Fritz Wagner
      >

      > At 03:07 PM 6/27/2002, Rhydon Jackson wrote:
      >
      > >The text missing from the DOC, but included in the PDF version at p. 34,
      > >reads:
      > >
      > >...divine nature. Hegel, otherwise priding himself on his doctrinal
      > >orthodoxy, broke with Chalcedon on this sundering proposition. And he
      >broke
      > >with Chalcedon, Voegelin tells us, because the full consciousness of the
      > >Divine Christ is the Human Hegel: the identity is obvious and
      >frightening.
      > >Hegelianism is a kind of psychic bandage that covers over the failure of
      > >empire to discover who man really is. Marx, well knowing the game,
      >simply
      > >took "history into his own hands."
      > >
      > >Rhydon Jackson

    • m_theodoropoulos
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2002
        At our Moderator's invitation, I have uploaded a revised Word version
        of the Wilhelmsen article to the group's Files area. Having had a bit
        of experience with the sometimes over-zealous and rigid formatting to
        which some scanning software defaults, I've stripped out most of what
        made the document difficult to alter for one's own preferences.

        Although I did not go over it carefully, I did correct some of the
        more obvious typos (and brainos -- "prepositional" appears twice, so
        was unlikely merely to have been missed).

        Two notes: First, we, er, "Information Technology Professionals"
        *always* work on a copy, rather than the original file. Nevertheless,
        I, ahem, no longer have the original, so don't know how large a file
        it was. At 31k, it is probably larger than the original, since the
        <mtheo> household is a TRFZ(*), and I have embedded a font file
        within the doc to keep it TRF. Still, at 1/100 the size of the PDF
        it's probably not too extreme a bloat.

        Second, all this may be lavishing far too much loving care on the
        actual review. Despite EV's deflecting "Let it go" reported by
        Niemeyer (cf. Frank M's note that kicked off the discussion many many
        messages ago), I well remember thinking when the review came out that
        it was one of the most embarrassing public tantrums I'd ever seen.

        Looking at it again after all these years, I think I now recognize
        some of the same shock & indignation I've often beheld when readers
        -- even devoted & enthusiastic readers -- of Voegelin's work
        encounter the suggestion that taking his work seriously might
        actually require them to give up the mass of easy knee-jerk liberal
        -- or "conservative" -- assumptions that suffuse what they have to
        say. It's a curious phenomenon. Does this square with anyone else's
        impression of the piece, or am I fresh out, as I so often am, of that
        essential ingredient, whack?

        Cheers,
        Mark Theodoropoulos

        (*) Times Roman Free Zone