New at VoegelinView This Week

  • Fritz
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2013
      For those who have not visited VoegelinView this
      week:

      NEW

      An Outpouring of Resistance--
      We are pleased to welcome Paulette Kidder to VoegelinView. Professor Kidder undertakes to make sense of Mikhail Bulgakov's famous Soviet-era novel, examining the absurdity of officially sponsored atheism as well as the possibilities for spiritually empty dogmatism: "[Our tendency] is to reify the dynamic tension between human and divine into an encounter between a human subject and a 'transcendent object'," and, "In place of a dynamic and continuous movement of 'appeal-response,' we recall only 'an impersonal block of truth.'" Read this week part 1 of "The Master and Margarita: Satire and Transcendence."

      "It is Coming! It is Coming!"
      Klaus Vondung considers this week the fervor of Ernst Jünger who conceived of a society in which all was work and the individual was subsumed in the collective: "The perfection of the new man is reflected in his power: he appears `as the lord and administrator of the world, as a commanding figure in possession of a previously only dimly sensed absolute power.'" We are forcibly reminded of the disturbed power figures on the scene today when we read "Apocalypse in Germany: Part 2– Between the World Wars."

      The Horizon of Consciousness is the Central Issue of Our Time--
      Eric Voegelin wrote an Introduction to his American edition of Anamnesis in which he described his discovery that both the "schools" and the ideologies shared a limited horizon of consciousness: "Obviously, ra­tional discourse, or the resistance to it, had existential roots far deeper than the debate conducted on the surface. In the interwar years, truth was definitely what did not prevail. The restrictive de­formation of existence was a social force that had, and still has, a long course to run." We are pleased to present this week part 1 of "Remembrance of Things Past: The Horizon of Consciousness and the Contempt for Reason."

      Voegelin's Essential Flavour--
      This week Max Arnott concludes his look at the poetic in Eric Voegelin: "But his central insight is that the phenomena of politics and philosophy are poetic, that is, symbolic, potentially luminous for transcendence, and working by persuasion. This insight is, I believe, part of Voegelin's essential flavour. It may explain why he appeals so intensely to a limited audience, and is so widely and thoroughly ignored. That the universe may mean more than itself, that it has a symbolic, not to say sacramental core, is a most disquieting thought." Read this week part 2 of "The Poetic Core of Eric Voegelin."

      To see what has already appeared at VoegelinView, browse Our Past Headlines

      on the Inside

      "They crowd together on warm shoulders of rock . . ."
      Poetry Editor Thomas D'Evelyn brings us another poem from Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin, the Irish poet and university don, who suggests in contemplating the hermit crabs along the sea shore a moment that evokes traditional religious custom. Read in Poetry this week "Studying the Language."

      "You Have to be a Mystic to get out of the Situation"
      We are pleased to offer this week the first part of an Eric Voegelin audio recording, the famous "Irish Dialogue with Eric Voegelin." We must give our thanks to Fr. Brendan Purcell, who provided us with the recorded disk and who may well have held the microphone on this memorable occasion. Go to our Audio page and hear part 1 of "The Irish Dialogue with Eric Voegelin."

      A Great Zeal to De-Consecrate Modernity--
      We are pleased to welcome Steven P. Millies to VoegelinView. Professor Millies reviews for us a recent book by James V. Schall, S.J., entitled The Modern Age. Fr. Schall is himself a well-known student of Voegelin's thought and has himself reviewed for us. Professor Millies finds Fr. Schall's latest book to be uncharacteristically downbeat: "Is the modern age only a playground for the hubris of those who recognize nothing beyond the ego, or is there a better sense in which we can understand the modern age . . . ?" Read in Book Reviews this week "A Warranted Pessimism?"

      Pope Benedict and Eric Voegelin--
      We have been sent a copy of a letter written by Josef Cardinal Ratzinger to Eric Voegelin in 1980. We thought the retirement of Pope Benedict offers an appropriate occasion to show this letter. Read in Commentary this week "Benedict and Voegelin."

      The URL is: www.voegelinview.com

      Best,

      Fritz Wagner