Call for Papers EVS New Orleans 2012

  • fjjwagner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2011
      The following message is forwarded, belatedly, from Ellis Sandoz:

      Here's our call for papers for the 2012 New Orleans meeting of
      APSA.

      Call for papers:

      The Eric Voegelin Society, for its 28th annual international
      meeting in New Orleans,invites papers in the general field of
      political philosophy with particular attention to the work of
      Eric Voegelin and the broad range of interdisciplinary and
      comparative concerns reflected in his scholarship.

      This includes resistance to tyranny, classical philosophy,
      Christian thought, philosophy of history, the interface of
      religion and politics including radical Islam, modernity,
      post-modern thought, terrorism, ideological politics with its
      authoritarian and totalitarian manifestations, and contemporary
      challenges (both foreign and domestic) to liberty, free
      government, rule of law, the integrity of the American
      constitutional order and federal system included.

      Liberty, individual rights, and the tradition of Anglo-American
      constitutionalism are prominent interests of the Society.

      author's name, and Email address.

      Contact: Prof. Ellis Sandoz, Secretary, Eric Voegelin Society.

      ***************************

      If you do not have Prof Sandoz' email, contact the undersigned to
      obtain it.

      Best,

      Fritz Wagner
    • Jürgen Gebhardt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
        There is a growing tendency among academic associations to start
        planing a program by calling for papers at large. I am familiar
        with this procedure and its results: since there is an economic
        rational for being on a panel an increasing number of people file a
        proposal that vaguely fits in with the highly generalized subject
        matter supposedly being the theme of the conference. The out come is
        a hodge-podge of papers that in itself do not translate into a
        structured meaningful whole. Aside from that it remains an open
        question who decides on scientific quality and thematic relevance of
        those proposals and assigns them to the respective panels.. The
        Voegelin Society should decide for a more traditional procedure and
        first call for people who propose subject-related panels and suggest
        qualified contributors to be selected by the responsible chairperson
        in order to safeguard the scientific standards of a panel. I am sure
        that there is a great number of distinguished scholars among our
        members and friends who may serve as chairpersons and think up
        original and innovative subjects for panel discussions. If there are
        more panels available than alloted to the VS it should be decided on
        the bases of relevance and originality of the proposals . It should
        be up to the chairpersons whether they accept proposals that came
        forth from the call for papers at large.
        I personally might add that I have always refused to react to this
        type of calling for papers at large since I rather cooperate with
        responsible chairpersons or suggest a panel on my own.
        Prof. em. Dr. Juergen Gebhardt - chairman of the board of the
        Bavarian-American Center, Munich.

        .
        Am 01.06.2011 um 19:23 schrieb fjjwagner:

        > The following message is forwarded, belatedly, from Ellis Sandoz:
        >
        > Here's our call for papers for the 2012 New Orleans meeting of
        > APSA.
        >
        > Call for papers:
        >
        > The Eric Voegelin Society, for its 28th annual international
        > meeting in New Orleans,invites papers in the general field of
        > political philosophy with particular attention to the work of
        > Eric Voegelin and the broad range of interdisciplinary and
        > comparative concerns reflected in his scholarship.
        >
        > This includes resistance to tyranny, classical philosophy,
        > Christian thought, philosophy of history, the interface of
        > religion and politics including radical Islam, modernity,
        > post-modern thought, terrorism, ideological politics with its
        > authoritarian and totalitarian manifestations, and contemporary
        > challenges (both foreign and domestic) to liberty, free
        > government, rule of law, the integrity of the American
        > constitutional order and federal system included.
        >
        > Liberty, individual rights, and the tradition of Anglo-American
        > constitutionalism are prominent interests of the Society.

        > author's name, and Email address.
        >
        > Contact: Prof. Ellis Sandoz, Secretary, Eric Voegelin Society.
        >
        > ***************************
        >
        > If you do not have Prof Sandoz' email, contact the undersigned to
        > obtain it.
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Fritz Wagner

      • Paulo Roberto T. Sanchotene
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
          *I am young (barely 30) and, besides that, new into the academic world. So,
          please, if I am saying some kind of truism or plain nonsense, just disregard
          it. My short experience however shows that both procedure coexist quite
          well. Better than that, they complement each other. I have been in a few
          events that had both procedures, with a core organized in the same terms
          exposed by Mr. Gebhardt (usually, mornings and nights) and some "satelites"
          panels (in the afternoons) build on papers send at large to the
          organization.*
          *
          *
          *Although I can understand Mr. Gerbhardt's position, I personally enjoy the
          EVS method, because it allows neophytes like me to be an active part in the
          event.*

          2011/6/2 J�rgen Gebhardt <jngebhar@...-muenchen.de>

> [...]
          > > comparative concerns reflected in his scholarship.
          > >
          > > This includes resistance to tyranny, classical philosophy,
          > > Christian thought, philosophy of history, the interface of
          > > religion and politics including radical Islam, modernity,
          > > post-modern thought, terrorism, ideological politics with its
          > > authoritarian and totalitarian manifestations, and contemporary
          > > challenges (both foreign and domestic) to liberty, free
          > > government, rule of law, the integrity of the American
          > > constitutional order and federal system included.
          > >
          > > Liberty, individual rights, and the tradition of Anglo-American
          > > constitutionalism are prominent interests of the Society.

          > > author's name, and Email address.
          > >
          > > Contact: Prof. Ellis Sandoz, Secretary, Eric Voegelin Society.
          > >
          > > ***************************
          > >
          > > If you do not have Prof Sandoz' email, contact the undersigned to

        • Ellis Sandoz
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
            All good thoughts from our colleague Prof. Gebhardt. However: The American Political Science Association REQUIRES that "related groups" (including the Eric Voegelin Society) issue a general call for papers if they wish to participate in the annual meetings. Call it democracy at work. Sometimes new talent does in fact emerge from these general calls. In any case, it is a requisite for participation through what is considered an open process.

            Ellis Sandoz, Secretary
            Eric Voegelin Society

> [...]

            > comparative concerns reflected in his scholarship.
            >
            > This includes resistance to tyranny, classical philosophy,
            > Christian thought, philosophy of history, the interface of
            > religion and politics including radical Islam, modernity,
            > post-modern thought, terrorism, ideological politics with its
            > authoritarian and totalitarian manifestations, and contemporary
            > challenges (both foreign and domestic) to liberty, free
            > government, rule of law, the integrity of the American
            > constitutional order and federal system included.
            >
            > Liberty, individual rights, and the tradition of Anglo-American
            > constitutionalism are prominent interests of the Society.

            > author's name, and Email address.
            >
            > Contact: Prof. Ellis Sandoz, Secretary, Eric Voegelin Society.
            >
            > ***************************
            >
            > If you do not have Prof Sandoz' email, contact the undersigned to

          • jah great
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
              My proposal is this: "Virtues Burned Away: A Voegelinian Reading of Flannery O'Connor and Elizabeth Anscombe."  This paper useses Voegelinian methods of analyssi to assess the significance for virtue ethics(and virtue politics) of Flannery O' Connor and Elizabeth Anscombe. I will focus on some short stories from Everything That Rises Must Converge and on Pfrofessor Anscombe's seminal papers " Modern Moral Philosophy"{ and " The Source of the Authority of the State.". I argue that  both thinkers represent a recovery of the ethicaly and spiritually concrete.
              Joseph harder

> [...]

              > comparative concerns reflected in his scholarship.
              >
              > This includes resistance to tyranny, classical philosophy,
              > Christian thought, philosophy of history, the interface of
              > religion and politics including radical Islam, modernity,
              > post-modern thought, terrorism, ideological politics with its
              > authoritarian and totalitarian manifestations, and contemporary
              > challenges (both foreign and domestic) to liberty, free
              > government, rule of law, the integrity of the American
              > constitutional order and federal system included.
              >
              > Liberty, individual rights, and the tradition of Anglo-American
              > constitutionalism are prominent interests of the Society.

              > author's name, and Email address.
              >
              > Contact: Prof. Ellis Sandoz, Secretary, Eric Voegelin Society.

              > If you do not have Prof Sandoz' email, contact the undersigned to

            • Ellis Sandoz
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2011
                Submission of proposals after the 2011 meeting would be best.
                So resend then please. es