New at Voegelinview this week

  • fjjwagner
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 8, 2009
      For those who have not visited VoegelinView this week:

      "I find I incorporate gneiss, coal, long-threaded moss. . ."
      Poetry editor Glenn Hughes has chosen this week Walt
      Whitman's "Song of Myself," in which nature is
      breathtakingly elevated above art. Walt Whitman was
      considered the great poet of democracy in 19th century
      American letters. Today he is harder to place, in part
      because the common man has become a rather enigmatic figure
      and in part because there is less room for poetry in public
      life. And might a Voegelinian sense something of an
      egophanic revolt masking as "the courage to be different?"

      All we've published is now collected together and linked--
      We have added a small feature to VoegelinView that we are
      calling Our Past Headlines. It is a separate page showing
      all our headlines with their short blurbs, together with a
      link to the article in question. We hope our readers will
      find this feature useful. Of course there is still the site
      map at the bottom of each page if a person wants to get the
      big picture or locate a particular article.

      We now see a similarity between Voegelin and Strauss--
      "Strauss argued from the 1920s on, if you abandon the world
      of the [Exile]– or the understanding that the world is the
      site of the Exile – then you abandon a central attribute of
      Judaism. This is not a position with which Voegelin would
      differ" writes Barry Cooper in part 2 of his analysis of
      Voegelin and his Contemporaries. Read today about Kelsen and
      Strauss.

      The Gospel as a Symbolism engendered in the Metaxy--
      This week Eric Voegelin writes: "tearing the drama of
      participation asunder into the biography of a Jesus in the
      spatiotemporal world and eternal verities showered from
      beyond would make nonsense of the existential reality that
      was experienced and symbolized as the drama of the Son of
      God." Read Divine Sonship and note EV's famous
      non-idiomatic "not an information tendered by Jesus."

      "Authority is not exhausted by power . . ."--
      This week Thomas McPartland shows us the vital center of
      Eric Voegelin's thought: "The philosophy of consciousness is
      the foundation of political science because the
      participatory consciousness of questioning is the source of
      order in both personal existence and the life of the
      polity." Read Noetic Science, part 3. It is especially
      recommended for those of us who fell by the wayside in our
      study of Aristotle. McPartland explains it so well we can
      understand and perhaps even remember!

      The URL is www.voegelinview.com

      Best,

      Fritz Wagner
    • fjjwagner
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 12, 2009
        For those who have not visited VoegelinView this week:

        They read with joy, then shut the book . . .
        This week our poetry editor has chosen The Revelation by
        Coventry Patmore. Patmore is considered one of the best
        though least known of the Victorian poets and became
        associated with the pre-Raphaelites, including among others,
        Dante Gabriel Rosetti and William Holman Hunt. Can life for
        most men be as somber as he portrays it?

        Admitting the Permanent Imperfection of Finite Existence--
        Glenn Hughes writes "one is led to despise or ignore the
        world in favor of a perfection imagined to be elsewhere or
        later, or one impatiently seeks the realization of
        perfection in the here and now. In either case, the balance
        of consciousness is lost." Read part 1 of Ezra Pound and the
        balance of Consciousness in which the tools of Voegelinian
        analysis are laid out before turning to Pound and his art.

        The Self-sufficient ordering of Existence through Science--
        This week Eric Voegelin cautions that "The spiritual desire,
        in the Platonic sense, must be very strong in a young man of
        our time in order to overcome the obstacles that social
        pressure puts in the way of its cultivation." Read On the
        Pathos of Science and the Spiritual Eunuchs.

        The Apple Store beckoned and a Voegelinian worried--
        The Apple people got a largish amount of cash from our
        Executive Editor in return for a computer, but the
        experience left a feeling of anxiety which was not quite
        allayed by reading the above excerpt from EV. Read about
        The Apple Store in Commentary.

        The Teleological Conscription of Psychic Energy--
        This week we begin a chapter in Thomas McPartland's Lonergan
        and the Philosophy of Historical Existence in which he
        describes Lonergan's approach to the development of the
        self. "Another word for this tension is anxiety. To carry
        out self-appropriation requires that we come to grips with
        this permanent existential mood." Read part 1 of
        Self-Appropriation in Lonergan and Voegelin.

        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 3, 2009
          For those who have not visited VoegelinView this week:

          "Drowned yesterday in a branch of sky"--
          How does one express the love between father and son? Not
          easily. But poetry editor Glenn Hughes has chosen something
          that may come us as close as one might with words, without
          falling into sentimentality. Read our second offering from
          Ernest Sandeen:"Kite umbilicus."

          The Ministry of Love--
          "Political correctness is enforced by the state and assumes
          the agent is not free to alter his behavior through
          persuasion. Political correctness aims to control a self
          that cannot control itself." In Canada today the Human
          Rights Commissions have brought a taste of Orwell's
          futuristic novel of mind control,1984, into everyday life.
          Read John von Heyking's The War on Hate: The Past and Future
          of Political Correctness and Liberty.

          A Theory of Phenomena isn't a Philosophy of Substance--
          "The evolutionary movement has a distinct anti-Christian,
          secularistic flavor through the assumption that the
          interpretation of man as the final link in the chain of
          evolution has a bearing on the understanding of man as a
          spiritual existence" writes Eric Voegelin. Read this week
          Biological Phenomenalism and Charles Darwin.

          Philosophy and "The Time of the Tale"
          This week John von Heyking offers his review of Charles
          Embry's The Philosopher and the Storyteller: Eric Voegelin
          and 20th Century Literature, a consideration of the fruit of
          the friendship between Eric Voegelin and literary critic
          Robert B. Heilman in which Professor Embry examines Graham
          Swift’s Waterland, Heimito von Doderer’s The Demons and
          Flannery O’Connor’s The Violent Bear it Away.

          "We must read a text like a painting"--
          This week Hans-Georg Gadamer explains to us that In the
          tragedy of Oedipus "we realize our own blindness, without
          suffering the same pain of the hero; the catharsis theory of
          Aristotle is much better than the moralistic account or, I
          think, the elucidations by modern scientific advancement
          [such as psychoanalysis]." Read part two of Hermeneutics:
          the Art of Understanding and Interpreting.