obama

  • Jürgen Gebhardt
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
      It's a pity that the president-elect closed down evforum even before
      being inaugurated J.G.
    • Paulo Roberto T. Sanchotene
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
        *Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! The problem is that we need to find another
        controversy ASAP!
        *
        On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 2:48 PM, J�rgen Gebhardt <
        jngebhar@...-muenchen.de> wrote:

        > It's a pity that the president-elect closed down evforum even before
        > being inaugurated J.G.

      • Martin Pagnan
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2008
          Since the election I have been curled up in a ball under my desk. I have
          been passing my time by sucking my thumb and rocking back and forth.

          Is it ok to come out yet?

          Jürgen Gebhardt wrote:
          > It's a pity that the president-elect closed down evforum even before
          > being inaugurated J.G.

        • fjjwagner
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 6, 2008
            The cartoon shows Obama introducing Hillary Clinton as his new
            Secretary of State. Standing next to her is Bill Clinton. He's
            giving the thumbs up sign and grinning. He whispers, "I'm back!"

            Bush appointee Robert Gates is being retained as secretary of
            Defense. Tom Daschle is back in DC as Secy of HHS. All Washington
            insiders taking the top positions. The only mildly controversial
            nominee is that for Attorney General because his fame lies in having
            engineered the pardon for the fugitive financial racketeer Mark Rich
            on Clinton's last day of malfeasance.

            Second reality leftists will ignore all this for a few months or more
            and when the Obama administration ceases to divert them they will
            drop it down the old oubliette and move onto something more
            hope filled. When you've bought a fake painting the more you paid
            for it the less likely you are to admit it.

            Actually, the lack of change is encouraging, because the problems
            remain unchanged and there are usually few or no options in dealing
            with them. What Obama is faced with that is new, is not opportunity,
            but disaster: a recession teetering on the edge of a depression. The
            tax cuts stay in place because Wall Street is in a state of terror.
            November showed the worst job loss in 34 years. A pall of gloom
            hangs over the land as Obama enters office.

            When the interlocutor asked Shelby Steele what Obama would be
            remembered for, Steele answered, "Being the first black president."
            The interlocutor followed up, "Is that it?!"
            Steele replied, "Yes, that's it."

            The future cannot be known, but we can see that the new politics
            looks so far like pretty typical politics. The American political
            tradition binds our present in ways that the young (unread in history)
            cannot imagine.

            Fritz Wagner

            On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 23:37:50 -0500, Martin Pagnan wrote:
            > Since the election I have been curled up in a ball under my desk. I
            > have been passing my time by sucking my thumb and rocking back and
            > forth.
            >
            > Is it ok to come out yet?
            >
            > Jürgen Gebhardt wrote:
            >> It's a pity that the president-elect closed down evforum even
            >> before being inaugurated J.G.

          • Richard Carner
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 7, 2008
              Martin Pagnan wrote:
              > Since the election I have been curled up in a ball under my desk. I have
              > been passing my time by sucking my thumb and rocking back and forth.
              >
              > Is it ok to come out yet?

              I'm a little curious why you went into a fetal position? Just imagine if
              EV had done the same during the 1930's.... There might have been no
              publications such as Race and State, The History of the Race Idea, or
              The Authoritarian State, which nearly cost him his life. I can visualize
              Voegelin sucking on a cigar, but not his thumb. Is there some connection
              between those terrible times and these times that escapes me?

              Richard
              > Jürgen Gebhardt wrote:
              >
              >> It's a pity that the president-elect closed down evforum even before
              >> being inaugurated J.G.

            • Martin Pagnan
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2008
                Noun: Allegory 'alu`gurie
                1) A short moral story (often with animal characters)
                2) A visible symbol representing an abstract idea
                3) An expressive style that uses fictional characters and events to
                describe some subject by suggestive resemblances; an extended metaphor

                Synonyms
                1) parable
                2) fable

                Definitions courtesy WebWord

                Richard Carner wrote:
                > Martin Pagnan wrote:
                >
                >> Since the election I have been curled up in a ball under my desk. I have
                >> been passing my time by sucking my thumb and rocking back and forth.
                >>
                >> Is it ok to come out yet?
                >>

                > I'm a little curious why you went into a fetal position? Just imagine if
                > EV had done the same during the 1930's.... There might have been no
                > publications such as Race and State, The History of the Race Idea, or
                > The Authoritarian State, which nearly cost him his life. I can visualize
                > Voegelin sucking on a cigar, but not his thumb. Is there some connection
                > between those terrible times and these times that escapes me?
                >
                > Richard
                >
                >> Jürgen Gebhardt wrote:
                >>

                >>> It's a pity that the president-elect closed down evforum even before
                >>> being inaugurated J.G.

              • William Riggs
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 7, 2008
                  Ummm - just a note on the pathways of existential representation.
                  There is a subtle shift in the manner of Obama's symbolic portrayal
                  since his election. Whereas before the election, he was constantly
                  being shown with a scowl, everywhere one goes these days, one is
                  confronted with Obama's smiling visage. Even when not smiling, he is
                  being shown as serious, presidential, responsible and in charge.

                  One might suppose that this can be squared with Steele's notion of
                  Obama as a "bargainer" (as opposed to a confronter), but,
                  experimentally speaking, one might and ought to try applying and not
                  applying this conceptual filter, to see how one's perception of Obama
                  may shift thereby. For my own part, I do not think that symbology is
                  destiny. It would certainly be presumpuous to characterize the Obama
                  presidency before it has even started, even as we see steps being
                  taken that eliminate some historical possibilities while enabling
                  others.

                  Like Fritz, I am indeed struck by the obvious and apparent desire to
                  provide reassurance in these cabinet appointments that this
                  government will not be constituted of amateurs and second raters. But
                  here again, I am tempted to look beyond the obvious interpretation to
                  thresh out more subtle realities. One emerging reality that one might
                  have noticed previously, had one been so inclined to look for it, is
                  the apparent desire of the Democrat Party to curry favor with the
                  military establishment - even though this alignment is
                  institutionally unstable, and not very likely to last throughout the
                  duration of the Obama Administration. But I speculate hereby.

                  The reignition of the Kulturkampf of the Clinton Administration does
                  seem to be a likely consequence of Obama's schwerpunkt with respect
                  to his Justice Department nomination and the policies likely to ensue
                  therefrom. Memories of last minute Clinton pardons are just the
                  historical window dressing. The battlelines are quite likely to be
                  rapidly formed in this area.

                  Bill Riggs

                  --- In evforum@yahoogroups.com, fjjwagner <fjjwagner@...> wrote:

                  > The cartoon shows Obama introducing Hillary Clinton as his new
                  > Secretary of State. Standing next to her is Bill Clinton. He's
                  > giving the thumbs up sign and grinning. He whispers, "I'm back!"
                  >
                  > Bush appointee Robert Gates is being retained as secretary of
                  > Defense. Tom Daschle is back in DC as Secy of HHS. All Washington
                  > insiders taking the top positions. The only mildly controversial
                  > nominee is that for Attorney General because his fame lies in having
                  > engineered the pardon for the fugitive financial racketeer Mark Rich
                  > on Clinton's last day of malfeasance.
                  >
                  > Second reality leftists will ignore all this for a few months or
                  more
                  > and when the Obama administration ceases to divert them they will
                  > drop it down the old oubliette and move onto something more
                  > hope filled. When you've bought a fake painting the more you paid
                  > for it the less likely you are to admit it.
                  >
                  > Actually, the lack of change is encouraging, because the problems
                  > remain unchanged and there are usually few or no options in dealing
                  > with them. What Obama is faced with that is new, is not
                  opportunity,
                  > but disaster: a recession teetering on the edge of a depression.
                  The
                  > tax cuts stay in place because Wall Street is in a state of terror.
                  > November showed the worst job loss in 34 years. A pall of gloom
                  > hangs over the land as Obama enters office.
                  >
                  > When the interlocutor asked Shelby Steele what Obama would be
                  > remembered for, Steele answered, "Being the first black president."
                  > The interlocutor followed up, "Is that it?!"
                  > Steele replied, "Yes, that's it."
                  >
                  > The future cannot be known, but we can see that the new politics
                  > looks so far like pretty typical politics. The American political
                  > tradition binds our present in ways that the young (unread in
                  history)
                  > cannot imagine.
                  >
                  > Fritz Wagner
                  >

                  > On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 23:37:50 -0500, Martin Pagnan wrote:
                  > > Since the election I have been curled up in a ball under my desk.
                  > > have been passing my time by sucking my thumb and rocking back and
                  > > forth.
                  > >
                  > > Is it ok to come out yet?
                  > >
                  > > Jürgen Gebhardt wrote:
                  > >> It's a pity that the president-elect closed down evforum even
                  > >> before being inaugurated J.G.

                • James Rovira
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 7, 2008
                    Perhaps a useful addition:
                    sar⋅don⋅ic  <http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/S01/S0107500>
                    /sɑrˈdɒnɪk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation
                    <http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html>
                    [sahr-don-ik]
                    –adjective characterized by bitter or scornful derision; mocking; cynical;
                    sneering: a sardonic grin.
                    *Origin: *
                    1630–40; alter. of earlier sardonian (influenced by F sardonique) < L
                    sardoni(us) (< Gk sardónios of Sardinia) +
                    -an<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=-an&db=luna>;
                    alluding to a Sardinian plant which when eaten was supposed to produce
                    convulsive laughter ending in death

                    Jim R