The Good, the Bad, the Ugly?

  • fjjwagner
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2007
      Could some of those who were at EVS-Chicago tell us what they liked
      or didn't?

      Cordially,

      Fritz Wagner
    • rsseilerjr@verizon.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2007
        In addition to the pleasure of getting to know a number of EVS members better and learning from many, for me the highlights of this year's meeting were:

        1) the panel on “Hitler and the Germans”. There were eloquent and moving presentations, and then Peter von Sivers and Thomas Hollweck, who attended the lectures in 1964, responded. Tom emphasized the importance to Voegelin’s audience of his critique of the corrupt language still used in their environment and commented the similarity to our current situation. He remarked that a recent debate in the American Psychological Association over whether psychologists should be permitted to attend interrogations that used violence used the kinds of arguments you heard all the time in Germany.

        2) the panel on Stephan Rossbach’s paper on “Understanding Seeking Faith.” His presentation, Fred Lawrence’s response (read by Chip Hughes), and comments read by Chip Hughes (as himself) and Tom McPartland, were an intellectual feast and a model of scholarly courtesy. I hope Tom types up his notes so they can be posted for all to read.

        3) a series of culinary adventures sponsored by Joe Feeney, which included lunch Friday at a cajun deli in the Loop, a multi-course Italian dinner with a large number of Voegelinians Friday night at La Tavernetta, and dinner at another fine restaurant on Saturday night.

        The panel on “Equivalences of Symbolization-Experience in China?” also received very high marks, but I regret that I missed it, especially now that I am reading the papers.

        Robin Seiler
      • Rhydon Jackson
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
          As one who unfortunately couldn't attend this year, I hope more of the
          papers and responses do appear online. For example, I read Stefan
          Rossbach's paper with great interest and am very curious about the
          or Peter von Sivers relates the context of the Hitler lectures to these
          anxious times.

          Rhydon Jackson
        • Ellis Sandoz
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
            LSU changed servers and managed to lose our Web site
            (www.ericvoegelin.org) in the process. It is being restored, and all
            the papers we have from the 2007 meeting of the Eric Voegelin Society in
            Chicago will be posted there in due course. I hope. Many of these can
            be found on the APSA Web site in the meanwhile.

            Ellis Sandoz

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 10, 2007
              I'm comforted to know that Ellis Sandoz hopes too that all the papers
              find their way to the LSU page. By the way, the LSU site does seem to
              be responding at this point.

              The APSA page is so buggy that moving around amongst the panels is very
              tedious. But, not too tedious. For example, Ellis Sandoz's rousing
              call to attend to the call is certainly more than worth the trouble.

              The closing reference there to the letter to Altizer reminds me of my
              earlier comment about the Kyoto school. It's interesting that Robert
              Carter's early introduction to Kitaro Nishida, _The Nothingness Beyond
              God_, opens with a long look at William James' "Does 'Consciousness'
              Exist?". I say early, but the book is only about ten years old. It's
              just the earliest book length study in English I happen to know of.

              Maybe I am just being struck by superficial parallels, but I think there
              may be more to it than that. If anybody is interested, here are some
              links that might indicate what I'm getting at here:

              a link to the publisher's site on Carter's book
              http://www.paragonhouse.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=120
              I'm just getting into this one.

              a link to a series in the same neighborhood
              http://www.uhpress.hawaii.edu/catalogs/nanzan.html

              here are two of the titles there
              - The Logic of Nothingness: A Study of Nishida Kitarō, by Robert J. J.
              Wargo (2005) ...I have the feeling this is the most useful study out there.
              - Philosophers of Nothingness: An Essay on the Kyoto school, by James
              W. Heisig (2001) ...It seems that this one has made an impression as the
              definitive survey.

              here is the institute which gives the above series its name.
              http://www.nanzan-u.ac.jp/SHUBUNKEN/welcome.htm
              The founding chairman was Heinrich Dumoulin, a Jesuit whose work on the
              history of Zen Buddhism many will have heard of.

              a brief article comparing Nishida to James
              http://williamjamesstudies.press.uiuc.edu/1.1/krueger.html

              here are some stanford encyc of phil's entries
              http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kyoto-school/
              http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/nishida-kitaro/

              here's a review of Heisig's survey
              http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.cgi?path=274301169487155

              Of course, none of these sources incorporates anything like Voegelin's
              meditations on reflective distance as opposed to reflective identity, or
              his calling of attention to the empirical recovery of Plato's
              revelation, or any of the other themes which it is so unfortunate are
              not more widely known. But, there do seem to be new and valuable, at
              least to me, articulations in the area.

              Rhydon Jackson