new member-Mohamed Soffar

  • Jack Elliott
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
      I would like to welcome new listserve member, Mohamed Soffar, an
      assistant professor of political theory at Cairo University. Mohamed
      writes that he is "very much interested in the works of Voegelin,
      especially the relationship between politics and transcendence that many
      political theorists ignore or are unaware of."

      Welcome, Mohamed!

      Jack

      --

      For those moved to discern the attraction and mystery of historic places read:

      The Buried City: A Meditation on History and Place
      http://www.newpantagruel.com/issues/1.4/the_buried_city_a_meditation.php

      ------------------------------------

      Is it simply a residual phenomenon, or an existential protest arising out of the depth of our being, that sends us in search of privileged places, be they our birthplace, the scene of our first love, or the theater of some important historical occurrence -- a battle, a revolution, the execution ground of patriots? We return to such places because there a more than everyday reality erupted and because the memory attached to what took place there preserves us from being simply errant vagrants in the world.
      Paul Ricoeur
    • med soffar

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
          Welcome Mohamed--

          Your concern is welcome. It is too easy to overlook that Voegelin once
          designated consciousness as (quoting from memory again, please correct if if
          needed) "the sensorium of transcendence".

          Regards, Chip Sills

          >From: med soffar <medsoffar@...>
          >To: evforum@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [evforum] new member-Mohamed Soffar
          >Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:28:56 -0700 (PDT)
          >
          >Jack,
          > Thak you so much for welcoming me and I am looking forward to follow
          >your discussions.
          >
          > mohamed
          >
          >Jack Elliott <jde3@...> wrote:
          > I would like to welcome new listserve member, Mohamed Soffar, an
          >assistant professor of political theory at Cairo University. Mohamed
          >writes that he is "very much interested in the works of Voegelin,
          >especially the relationship between politics and transcendence that many
          >political theorists ignore or are unaware of."
          >
          >Welcome, Mohamed!
          >
          >Jack
          >
          >--
          >
          >For those moved to discern the attraction and mystery of historic places
          >read:
          >
          >The Buried City: A Meditation on History and Place
          >http://www.newpantagruel.com/issues/1.4/the_buried_city_a_meditation.php
          >
          >------------------------------------
          >
          >Is it simply a residual phenomenon, or an existential protest arising out
          >of the depth of our being, that sends us in search of privileged places, be
          >they our birthplace, the scene of our first love, or the theater of some
          >important historical occurrence -- a battle, a revolution, the execution
          >ground of patriots? We return to such places because there a more than
          >everyday reality erupted and because the memory attached to what took place
          >there preserves us from being simply errant vagrants in the world.
          >Paul Ricoeur

        • med soffar
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
            Thank you so much Chip. I have just made my baby steps in Voegelin's world of ideas, but I have read Foucault. What is interesting to me is to find in Voegelin's works the lost dimension of spirituality that was sealed, in political science by Machiavelli and in philosophy by Descartes. This lost dimension that Foucault called spiritualite politique can at time be so destructive and at other be so creative and constructive. My main concern is how to make the best use of it on the intellectual level.

            mohamed soffar

            chip sills <chipsills@...> wrote:

            Welcome Mohamed--

            Your concern is welcome. It is too easy to overlook that Voegelin once
            designated consciousness as (quoting from memory again, please correct if if
            needed) "the sensorium of transcendence".

            Regards, Chip Sills

            >From: med soffar <medsoffar@...>
            >To: evforum@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [evforum] new member-Mohamed Soffar
            >Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:28:56 -0700 (PDT)
            >
            >Jack,
            > Thak you so much for welcoming me and I am looking forward to follow
            >your discussions.
            >
            > mohamed
            >
            >Jack Elliott <jde3@...> wrote:
            > I would like to welcome new listserve member, Mohamed Soffar, an
            >assistant professor of political theory at Cairo University. Mohamed
            >writes that he is "very much interested in the works of Voegelin,
            >especially the relationship between politics and transcendence that many
            >political theorists ignore or are unaware of."
            >
            >Welcome, Mohamed!
            >
            >Jack
            >
            >--
            >
            >For those moved to discern the attraction and mystery of historic places
            >read:
            >
            >The Buried City: A Meditation on History and Place
            >http://www.newpantagruel.com/issues/1.4/the_buried_city_a_meditation.php
            >
            >------------------------------------
            >
            >Is it simply a residual phenomenon, or an existential protest arising out
            >of the depth of our being, that sends us in search of privileged places, be
            >they our birthplace, the scene of our first love, or the theater of some
            >important historical occurrence -- a battle, a revolution, the execution
            >ground of patriots? We return to such places because there a more than
            >everyday reality erupted and because the memory attached to what took place
            >there preserves us from being simply errant vagrants in the world.
            >Paul Ricoeur

          • chip sills
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
              We humans have a habit of "throwing out the baby with the bathwater."
              Because passions evoked and expressed in spiritual and religious contexts
              can be and have been mobilized for evil purposes--purposes which often
              result in untold human suffering--many who themselves have no faith have
              decided that faith itself is evil or pathological or at least immature.

              Yet the abandonment by political elites of faith for themselves has not
              gotten rid of faith. "The faithful" still need to be governed, mobilized,
              re-educated, etc. This creates an ineluctable tendency in the modern world
              towards a cynical manipulation of faith by the faithless, which is at least
              as tragic in outcome as faith that loses the "balance of consciousness."

              In many texts, but first of all in "Science Politics, and Gnosticism", in
              "On Classical Studies", and in "Reason: the Classic Experience", Voegelin
              argues strongly that the very notion of reason has been a casualty of this
              development. Reason in the classic sense involves an awareness of divine
              presence or at least of the grounding pathos of fundamental questioning that
              leads to the opening of the soul. Modern reason is pragmatic calculation
              interrupted by gnostic enthusiasms in lieu of living faith.

              Out former moderator, Mr Fritz Wagner, has an invaluable website with a
              great number of challenging and enlightening texts from Voegelin. I suggest
              you look into it first, to see where your research should lead you next.

              Regards, CFS

              Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.