Frank Purcell

  • Frederick Wagner
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2001
      One of our list members, Frank Purcell, has written a memoire about his
      experiences on September 11th in New York. His office was only a block
      from the World Trade Center. He has launched a webpage so we can read
      it. It is beautiful and moving. The URL is: http://arisbe.net/911.html

      Fritz Wagner
    • abyssus.rm
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 11, 2001
        Many thanks for the kind words. The writing on the page is still a
        little rough as it is even now hard for me to go in and edit, though
        there are still things to be added and nuanced. Perhaps the closest
        I have been able to get to the meaning of these things is in some
        verse, which I have posted at http://arisbe.net/angel.html .

        I don't know how Voegelinian my perspective is, but I thought it
        proper to inform Professor Wagner when I linked to his excellent
        essay on Islam. I cannot help seeing the Twin Towers emerging as a
        new symbol of order, not in the technological triumph of their
        construction, but in what the tragedy brought out, what it revealed,
        in our national character, in the character of this city. I am
        humbled by this, by the irony that Mr. bin Laden desired to shame us,
        but instead allowed us to receive a glory we would not have thought
        we deserved.

        Frank Purcell