Small thing

  • FMasingill@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2001
      George Will wrote a column some time ago summarizing pet peeves relating
      to word usage and I've seen others but then I caught George using "apt" for
      "likely" and vice versa later on.

      This is a small thing but I note that Voegelin, who is so precise in his
      language that I'm tempted to think he's right and I'm wrong, uses "apt"
      almost constantly in the 1952 _The New Science of Politics_ and occasionally
      elsewhere in his writings. Am I wrong in my evaluation of the incorrectness
      of this usage? Is it just a quirk? I suspect Paul Caringella would set me
      straight on this. Are you there, Dr. Caringella? Just something I'd like
      to know.

      Frank

    • G Ellis Sandoz
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2001
      • G Ellis Sandoz
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2001
          It's apt to rain this afternoon, according to the weather man. In New
          Orleans, too, maybe.

          Perfectly good usage according the Webster, meaning 2. Ellis