Re: [evforum] Voegelin on C.Schmitt and Kelsen

  • David Levy
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
      Voegelin reviewed Schmitt's Verfassungslehre (1928) in Zeitschrift fur
      offentliches Recht 11 (1931) pp.89-109 (My e-mail does not do accents).
      There is an Italian translation of 3 letters from Schmitt to Voegelin --
      March 30 1931,June 16 1950, August 8 1951 --- in Filosofia Politica 5, no.1
      (June 1991). I hope this information is useful. On a biographical point,
      Schmitt was anxious to resume some degree of contact with Voegelin after the
      war but V was not keen on renewing correspondence.
      Best wishes with your inquiries,
      David J Levy
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
        Voegelin was indeed a student of Kelsen's in Vienna. He was a tireless
        student with no distractions. Kelsen used to joke with him, "Eric, wenn Du
        Dich heiratest, bring'ich Dich um!"

        I don't know about your other q's

        Chris Manion

        I read that Voegelin was a student of Hans
        Kelsen back in Viena. Is this information
        biographically accurate? if so, is there any
        remnant correspondance between Eric Voegelin
        and Hans Kelsen? Also did Voegelin ever met
        with Carl Schmitt?

        Can anyone also inform if there is any
        specific study, paper or essay concerning
        Voegelin vs Carl Schmitt and/or Hans Kelsen?

        Finally: Was Schmitt's thought of any significance
        to Voegelin?

        Thanks beforehand for any information.
        Nikolai Wallenstein

        In consideratione creaturarum non est vana
        et peritura curiositas exercenda; sed gradus
        ad immortalia et semper manentia faciendus.
        —St Augustine De vera religione

      • Mark Theodoropoulos
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2003
          Nikolai Wallenstein writes:

          > Can anyone also inform if there is any
          > specific study, paper or essay concerning
          > Voegelin vs Carl Schmitt and/or Hans Kelsen?

          I have a recollection, possibly -- even probably -- faulty, that
          Reinhold Knoll called his paper at the 1996 San Francisco meeting
          something along the lines of "Eric Voegelin and Carl Schmitt: a
          conversation that never took place." It is not listed as such in the
          excellent Jackson/Beam list of Society papers, possibly because Dr
          Knoll and Gilbert Weiss presented their two papers under a joint title,
          "Therapies in Voegelin's Vienna." Perhaps someone with a functioning
          memory will be willing to confirm or correct.

          Mark Theodoropoulos
          Berkeley, California

          --
          <mtheo>