Stimulated by thoughts of Eric Voegelin

  • FMasingill@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2003
      Before Abraham was I saw you
      Locked up tight in a vault
      That was personal and yet so collective
      That glances were furtive and secrets were
      Whispered in deeply underground tones
      Only to those en canaille, excluding humanity's graces.

      Before Abraham was I saw you
      Casting your furtive glances and
      Whispering secrets and secretive
      To the crowd so ready to vent them.
      Do you never come out in the open
      Where the winds so refreshing might stab?

      Shared guilt cannot stay in the traces.
      It bursts every bond as it strains
      To plow in the middle furrow
      Where truth would expose every falsehood.
      I saw you in vistas long past us;
      Before Abraham was, I am.

      These lines were dashed off a few days ago while I was in deep
      meditation about Voegelin's references to the Gospel of John and Colossians
      2:9. Placing them on the EVFORUM is, of course, shameless but then I have no
      shame and age tends to cloud better judgement. Just "me and my drum," O.K.

      Frank