Re: [Eva Cassidy] Re: Bug On A Wall Moments

  • paul limbrick
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
      Yes I would have recommended it. Whatever the
      politics surrounding the album in recent months, I
      still think it's a great album. Eva sings
      beautifully, and the production is spot on. Of
      course, it is in a different style, but so what.
      Elvis Costello had his country phase, Springsteen had
      his folkie one (twice!!), Macartney his classical one,
      etc., etc. So I think it's cool that we've got (along
      with No Boundaries) Eva singing out of type.
      I also think, for what it's worth, that it was a great
      idea for the album to have a CD issue, although, like
      Henrik, I agree that the name "Eva Cassidy" should've
      been less conspicuous. That is what appears to have
      kicked off the litigation. Furthermore, even if one
      isn't keen on the content it still is a vital
      historical Cassidy document. Full marks to David C
      for spotting the talent and having the confidence to
      commit her to tape forevermore. That was the
      beginning of what we have now. For that alone the
      Cassidy family should be having him round for dinner
      on a regular basis not dragging him and his record
      label thru the courts.

      Long winded answer Lynn, sorry bout that. Think I
      touched all bases tho!!

      --- essseus <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      ---------------------------------
      Nope, not unless you actually thought it was 1988.
      Just teasing.
      Hey Paul, Would you have recommended the Method
      Actor album to a friend if you'd heard it before
      anything else by Eva? I haven't heard it myself.
      Lynn

      --- In evacassidy@yahoogroups.com, paul limbrick
      <paulimo@y...> wrote:
      > LOL!!! Of course, 1998 it should've been. Do I win
      > Donut Of The Week then?
      >

      > --- essseus <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > ---------------------------------
      > Thanks, Paul, for shedding some light on that
      > bug on a wall moment.
      > I think you must have meant something other
      > than '88 anyway. Just a typo, I'm sure.:)
      >
      > Lynn
      >

      > --- In evacassidy@yahoogroups.com, paul limbrick
      > <paulimo@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi Lynn,
      > > The info is from Jefferson Morley's artcle in the
      > > Washington Post, March 8, 1988. It was reprinted
      on
      > > Laura's site, and I think it's still there.
      > >

      > > --- essseus <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      > > ---------------------------------
      > > Hi Paul,
      > >
      > > Were you there, or did you read about this at
      > Laura's
      > > site
      > > or where'd you hear about it? If you care to say,
      of
      > > course.
      > > Thanks,
      > > Lynn
      > >

      > > --- In evacassidy@yahoogroups.com, "paulimo"
      > > <paulimo@y...> wrote:
      > > > The songs that Chris played for Chuck were;
      > > > STORMY MONDAY
      > > > NATURAL WOMAN
      > > > GOD BLESS THE CHILD
      > > > BRIDGE OVER....
      > > > TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
      > > >

      > > > --- In evacassidy@yahoogroups.com, essseus
      > > remembrances
      > > being there.

      > > <no_reply@y...>

      anyone
      > > recall what Eva
      > > > sang
      > > Chuck. Just what
      > > > was
      got
      > > Chuck's attention?

      > > named the
      > him
      > > but

      golden,
      > > something like

      > > index. Or a

      > > record that
      > > studio and
      who
      > > brought

      Like
      > > Ray, I think her
      > waiting
      > > for the next

      with

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
      > >
      > > Don't forget, check out http://www.evacassidy.org
      > for
      > > the latest info on Eva.
      > > Visit http://www.synuk.com/eva for free Eva clips.

      > > Terms of Service.
      > >
      > > =====
      > > Paul Limbrick,
      > > Barry,
      > > South Wales.

      > > Yahoo! Plus - For a better Internet experience
      > > http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/yplus/yoffer.html
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT
      >
      > Don't forget, check out http://www.evacassidy.org
      for
      > the latest info on Eva.
      > Visit http://www.synuk.com/eva for free Eva clips.

      > Terms of Service.
      >
      > =====
      > Paul Limbrick,
      > Barry,
      > South Wales.

      > Yahoo! Plus - For a better Internet experience
      > http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/yplus/yoffer.html

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

      Don't forget, check out http://www.evacassidy.org for
      the latest info on Eva.
      Visit http://www.synuk.com/eva for free Eva clips.

      Terms of Service.

      =====
      Paul Limbrick,
      Barry,
      South Wales.

    • essseus
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3, 2003
        You made a lot of good points, Paul, most of which
        I agree with. I've been trying to mend my ways and
        keep posts down to a reasonable length but don't
        think anyone would say yours was too long.

        I've got family in town and don't have much
        time right now but have a few things I'd like to
        say. Will start on a reply and see if I can finish
        it before I have to leave in about 10 minutes.
        If not, sometime soon.
        Cheers,

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 4, 2003
          I agree, Paul, David C deserves an A+ in good taste and
          strategy for getting Eva as the singer in his band
          and making an album of what they did and many thanks for
          everything he did to encourage and hone her talent.

          I don't doubt that it's good music. I remember someone
          saying Method Actor was a good band and wanting me to
          go hear them at the Bayou one night, wish we had made
          it.
          Agree that it should be readily available for anyone
          who wants to buy it, but don't believe Blix Street or the Cassidy
          family are trying to stop production simply for greedy financial
          reasons, regardless of fan's rights to own this music.

          I also agree that the name Eva Cassidy should've been less
          conspicuous on their label. I have no reason to assume that
          Blix and the family don't have the same objection you or I or
          Henrik or any other Eva's fan would have, with the addition of
          some financial motivations in their case, since anyone who picked it
          up would be less likely to buy another or recommend it to others.

          It will be interesting to see how these issues are resolved in
          court. Do you think that without a large Eva Cassidy on the label
          it would sell enough to cover production costs?

          As good as I'm sure it is, relative to lots of other music out there,
          it's not just "of a different style", is it? Doesn't Eva cover about
          every style you could name on the Blix Street albums? How can she
          sing out of type? Not to take away any credit for what was achieved
          by Method Actor, or say they wouldn't have evolved to the level of
          magic found in her later work. Who knows?