Filmmaker seeking Esperanto translation of motto and possibly script

  • Jim Henry
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2010
      I suggest, in an email to Mr. Mihm, that "Peace through Science" would
      be more accurately translated "Paco per Scienco" than "Paco tra
      Scienco". If any of y'all feel differently, let's discuss it on-list
      and then send him one offlist message with our consensus.

      Is anyone interested in translating the dialogue as he suggests? I'm
      not sure if he's asking for subtitles, an audio dub, or both.

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
          On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973@...> wrote:
          > I suggest, in an email to Mr. Mihm, that "Peace through Science" would
          > be more accurately translated "Paco per Scienco" than "Paco tra
          > Scienco".

          Mi konsentas ke "per" certe pli taŭgas ol "tra".

          > Is anyone interested in translating the dialogue as he suggests? I'm
          > not sure if he's asking for subtitles, an audio dub, or both.

          Nu, mi subtitoligis kelkajn filmojn, kaj vere temas pri multega laboro
          por fari ĝin bone, por ke la tempoj estu bonaj, kaj la traduko ne nur
          bona sed taŭga por facila legado dum la spektado. Do mi devas vere ami
          filmon por foruzi tiom multan tempon sen rekompenco. :)

          Se estas malmultega dialogo, tiam mi eble farus ĝin "por la movado",
          sed mi havas la impreson, ke ĉi tiuj filmoj estas tipaj plenlongaj
          filmoj kun sufiĉe multa dialogo.

          amike
          russ
        • Jed Meltzer
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
            I would imagine that if it's going to be subtitling, that our role would be to supply the text on a line by line basis with the English.  As for actually putting the subtitles into the film with proper timing, surely that would be a job for the professional film editors in this case, since it's a professional production.

            If he's looking to make an audio dub, well that would either require extensive coaching of the actors to avoid another Incubus embarrasment, or hiring a bunch of us as the actors.  I vote for the second option, what fun!
            -Jed

            2010/8/3 Russ Williams <cxiomortas@...>

            On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:25 AM, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973@...> wrote:
            > I suggest, in an email to Mr. Mihm, that "Peace through Science" would
            > be more accurately translated "Paco per Scienco" than "Paco tra
            > Scienco".

            Mi konsentas ke "per" certe pli taŭgas ol "tra".

            > Is anyone interested in translating the dialogue as he suggests? I'm
            > not sure if he's asking for subtitles, an audio dub, or both.

            Nu, mi subtitoligis kelkajn filmojn, kaj vere temas pri multega laboro
            por fari ĝin bone, por ke la tempoj estu bonaj, kaj la traduko ne nur
            bona sed taŭga por facila legado dum la spektado. Do mi devas vere ami
            filmon por foruzi tiom multan tempon sen rekompenco. :)

            Se estas malmultega dialogo, tiam mi eble farus ĝin "por la movado",
            sed mi havas la impreson, ke ĉi tiuj filmoj estas tipaj plenlongaj
            filmoj kun sufiĉe multa dialogo.

            amike
            russ

          • Anderson Mills
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
              Just a comment here about getting a group to do the subtitling. My
              understanding is that in such a case, one needs a manager to create a
              style guide to handle personal differences between translators. For a
              professional translating group working on books, this makes sense, but
              in the case of a screenplay, generally only one person or two people
              in very close communication handle this, so as to keep translation
              style consistent throughout the movie.

              Re: a different message about subtitles

              As for what it takes to put subtitles in a movie, that's actually
              much simpler than the translating these days. There is plenty of
              software (and some of it free). One uses this to generate a .srt text
              file and just hands that to whoever is putting the final video or DVD
              out.

              I used some of this software a few years ago to do Esperanto
              subtitling for about half of Star Wars Episode IV, but unfortunately
              thieves stole my computer equipment (2 laptops and a backup drive),
              and the Esperanto subtitling wasn't backed up anywhere else.

              Anderson

            • That Sussex Branch Guy
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
                I'm interested in at least helping with the translation. Mr. Mihm contacted me directly and I've already told him that I'm interested.

                Dave Rutan

                --- In eusa-membroj@yahoogroups.com, Jim Henry <jimhenry1973@...> wrote:

                > I suggest, in an email to Mr. Mihm, that "Peace through Science" would
                > be more accurately translated "Paco per Scienco" than "Paco tra
                > Scienco". If any of y'all feel differently, let's discuss it on-list
                > and then send him one offlist message with our consensus.
                >
                > Is anyone interested in translating the dialogue as he suggests? I'm
                > not sure if he's asking for subtitles, an audio dub, or both.

              • Russ Williams
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
                  On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Jed Meltzer <jedmeltzer@...> wrote:

                  I would imagine that if it's going to be subtitling, that our role would be to supply the text on a line by line basis with the English.  As for actually putting the subtitles into the film with proper timing, surely that would be a job for the professional film editors in this case, since it's a professional production.

                  If they want the subtitles to actually be good, then the person(s) subtitling need to be viewing the film with their subtitles in place and tweaking them. If the non-Esperantist film producers do the timing, they will have no clue if the text is readable or flying by too fast. Just translating the existing English subtitles to Esperanto usually leads to subtitles that are too long for viewers to read. The subtitles then need to be edited, simplified, reworked, often tweaking the times also, with feedback from others watching the film who didn't do the translation (since the translator knows and reads their text too easily compared to a typical viewer). It's an iterative process.

                  But if they just want Esperanto subtitles as a marketing novelty and don't seriously care about the quality, figuring no one's going to seriously watch it with Eo-subtitles, then sure, it would be good enough to just translate the English ones into an equivalent Eo-translation and call it done. :)

                  BTW: translate.google.com/toolkit could be very useful if a group of people want to do a collaborative translation of a first draft. I've been using it for various translation projects, both private and collaborative, and it handles .ssa format (one of the standard subtitle formats).

                  russ
                • Boris Kolker
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010

                    Russ Williams:

                    > BTW:

                    href="http://translate.google.com/toolkit">translate.google.com/toolkit could be very useful if a group of people want to do a collaborative translation of a first draft. I've been using it for various translation projects, both private and collaborative, and it handles .ssa format (one of the standard subtitle formats).

                    Mi malfermis tiun pagxon kaj trovis gxin malplena. Cetere, kiom mi scias, Google Translate ne havas Esperanton en sia listo.

                    Boris

                  • Russ Williams
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 3, 2010
                      On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 7:41 PM, Boris Kolker <b_kolker@...> wrote:

                      Russ Williams:

                      > BTW: translate.google.com/toolkit could be very useful if a group of people want to do a collaborative translation of a first draft. I've been using it for various translation projects, both private and collaborative, and it handles .ssa format (one of the standard subtitle formats).

                      Mi malfermis tiun pagxon kaj trovis gxin malplena. Cetere, kiom mi scias, Google Translate ne havas Esperanton en sia listo.

                      Mi ne celis ke ĝi aŭtomate tradukos, simple ke ĝi estas utila redaktilo. Oni povas vidi la originalan tekston maldekstre kaj la tradukon prilaboratan dekstre. Klako sur unu tiras la respektivan tekston al la sama loko. Eblas enmeti komentojn kiuj ne estos parto de la traduko mem. Ĝi traktas Unikodon ĝuste. Pluraj homoj povas redakti la saman tradukon eĉ samtempe. Ktp.

                      amike,
                      russ