Re: National identity

  • vic_of_india
    Message 1 of 189 , Nov 3, 2000
      Hi,<br><br>I have always seen patriotism as
      different from nationalism. Nationalism has nasty
      undertones: it often involves high levels of xenephobia, is
      often linked to racism, and a general concept that
      people of one nationality/heritage are better than
      another.<br><br>Patriotism can include national pride, a recognition of
      legal boundaries, recognition of a divers history and
      culture between nations, but the superiority concept does
      not (in my case) come into it.<br><br>As for the
      'primitive tribal instinct' stuff - yes, I think you are
      right. I follow football, and have spent many years
      standing on terraces watching a game in which 22 men kick
      a ball around a pitch for 90 minutes. The emotions
      and bonds circling around the terraces are tribal.
      have, to a great extent, become quite patriotic to my
      current home country, and will support India at cricket
      against anyone other than England!<br><br>I do not see
      how this is in dispute with my libertarian
      principles. If I support my country as I support my football
      team (and I do consider it MY football team), then I
      do not think that that it is a problem. <br><br>V.
    • gilsonde
      Message 189 of 189 , Feb 4 11:53 PM