[EUrachno] C. fasciatum - identification and mating

  • Thomas Boston
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2000
      Hi all!
      Currently I am making several attempts to mate the male specimen and the two
      females I have in posession, but it has turned out to be very hard to make
      them "communicate".

      QUESTION 1
      How to mate C. fasciatum.
      I have sucessfully mated these true (overlooked) gems of the tarantulas ~1�
      years ago, they were both very nerveous but the mating went as most matings
      do. Unfortunately the eggsack got infested. Now I have decided to try again
      and have aquired several females for the purpose.

      The male wanders, then shakes with an interval of 1 minut, but it seems to
      me that he can�t locate the female. These (wellfed) females tend to dig
      themselves down, which makes them almost impossible to find to the male.
      They don�t come up at night and they are definetly NOT about to molt (both
      molted in September). The females don�t web that much (which explain
      abscense of pheromones)

      I would like to know if anybody (<==== read that again) have any useful
      information and/or experiences to share?

      QUESTION 2
      How to tell C. fasciatum from M. zebrata
      There is a slight difference on the two females. One of them is a bit larger
      and have more brownish than black legs. The male has Tibial spurs and is
      100% C. fasciatum. There is another species belonging to another genus,
      Metriopelma zebrata, that looks very much like C. fasciatum. Males of this
      species do not have any spurs, burt how can you distinguish the females of
      the two species from eachother?

      QUESTION 3
      C. fasciatum in the wild?
      In what kind of habitat does it live (exactly - Costa Rica forest is not
      enough)? Has anybody ever encountered these spiders in the wild?

      Best Regards

      Thomas Boston, Denmark