Antenna steering hardware circuit required

  • hrushenka2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hi all

      Thanks for taking the time to read this.

      I am in the process of converting an old CCTV pan and tilt unit into
      a rotator/azimuth unit which I hope to use for satellite tracking.
      I am looking for some circuits to interface this to allow PC control
      from a tracking program for automatic antenna steering.
      The unit uses 12v DC motors, and 2 feedback pots.

      Does anyone have any info which would be suitable?

      Thanks in advance

      Jason, G7KPM
    • SV1BSX
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2004
        Hi Jason & EU-Amsat group,

        I've constructed also a homebrew AZ-EL system with a rotator for AZ +
        TVRO Actuator for EL, fully controlled from my PC with NOVA Sat tracking
        program.
        The unit has 2 pots for feedback, like yours.

        I was looking for a simple electronic unit for a long time, and I found the
        FODtrack excellent because:

        1) you can make it if you have little experience in electronic
        constructions.
        2) you can find the diagram (and PCB **) on Internet.(it is not
        "Top-Secret", like
        other models!)
        3)you can adapting that in every system AZ/EL.

        4)supported by a perfect program for Sat-tracking, like NOVA.
        5)is possible to run with the FODtrack program, if you need something very
        simple, under DOS (...in your old 386, 486 etc!).
        6)it is the cheaper electronic-unit for Sat-tracking.

        The electronic components of FODtrack unit are usual, except one IC,
        that for D/A converter, but that was rare here in Greece.
        Maybe you can find it easily in UK.
        It is not expensive, 5-20 $/piece, depend on the market place.

        **The only problem is the PCB, which exists in the Web page. The
        drawning is not very good for printout, in order to make someone the PCB.
        But if you are patient, you can make it that on a general-use (multi-hole)
        PCB.
        On the other hand you can bought that from AMSAT-CE, for about 100 $
        (if I remember correctly).

        I 've drawn a new diagram and I plan to make a new PCB,
        based into FODtrack software, quite simplest, for my second AZ-EL
        system.

        I hope my Email was helpful. If you want any additional info,
        just let me know.

        73, Mak SV1BSX

        PS: take a view about FodTrack
        www.qsl.net/ve2dx/projects/fod.htm