EFL & ESL eZine

  • Ian Hewitt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      Hi All, here is the latest ESL eZine, enjoy!

      =====NEW!!======

      What others are saying......

      "Dear Ian, I got the Word Up game last week and have been
      playing it in all my classes, it's a truly wonderful teaching tool.
      Thanks again, Julia"
      http://www.eslgames.com/wordup/

      =======WORD UP ESL Board Game========

      If you own Word Up or are thinking about it, check out
      these great new ideas!
      http://www.EslGames.com/DiceWordUp.rtf

      I purchased the board game Word Up recently, and it has been
      so much educational fun.
      Thanks.... Helga (Toronto)
      http://www.EslGames.com/wordup/

      =========QUOTES===============

      "Every experience prepares you for the next one.
      You just don't ever know what the next one is going to be."
      -- Howard Schultz Chairman, Starbucks

      Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is
      good is
      not original and the part that is original is not good.
      --Samuel Johnson

      I don't care to belong to any organization that accepts me as a
      member
      --Groucho Marx

      =====Lesson Idea!===========
      Word Association

      The teacher starts the game by saying a word, such as "Hotel".
      For example:
      Teacher: Hotel
      Student A: Bed
      Student B: Room
      Student C: Service
      Student D: Food
      Student E: Restaurant
      Student F: Chinese

      As you can see, any association is ok.
      If the student can't answer (5 second limit) he or she must stand
      up. The last student seated is the winner.
      If the association is not obvious, the student is asked to explain
      the association.

      ==================

      Activities and Games at Dave's ESL Cafe, excellent!!
      http://www.eslcafe.com/discussion/dp/

      ===== New Sites=============

      Title Teacher's Pet - A free text tool for English teachers
      URL <http://www.teachers-pet.org/>http://www.teachers-pet.org/
      Description Turn any text into an effective classroom exercise.

      Spyware is becoming a big problem now especially for Windows
      computers.
      Spyware slows down your whole system, can pop up unwanted
      adds and porn etc,
      here is a link that will check for FREE to see if you have been
      infected...
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?edutain/trekblue8

      ESL Tips: A Guide to Improving Your English, is a new book that
      will help you improve your English. The book has great advice on
      how to improve English skills in speaking, writing, pronunciation,
      listening, vocabulary, verb tenses, TOEIC and TOEFL. There is
      nothing else like the book in the ESL market that is so useful
      and practical. ESL Tips is written by an English teacher who has
      taught English in North America, Europe and Asia. The advice
      and tips in the book are excellent because the book answers the
      many questions students have about how to improve English in
      specific areas. It is easy read and understand, and includes
      cultural tips as well as useful websites. The book can be bought
      at a low price in paperback ($10) or as an online book ($7.50).
      To see some sample tips and ordering information, the website
      address is <http://www.esltips.com>www.esltips.com

      EconomyTravel.com Travel Quick Search
      The best travel deals on the Net!!
      http://www.economy-travel.com/

      ==============================

      "Atoms for peace. Man is still the greatest miracle and
      the greatest problem on this earth."
      --David Sarnoff (1891-1971)
      Russian-US inventor. First message sent with atomic-powered
      electricity Jan 1954

      "The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one the
      heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I've found it!), but
      'That's funny...'"
      --Isaac Asimov

      "Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but
      wish we didn't."
      --Erica Jong

      ==============NEW ESL BOARD GAME=========

      'Word Up' is a quiz-style board game specifically designed for
      learners of English as a second or foreign language!
      http://www.eslgames.com/wordup/

      Typing Test Free Online
      How fast do you type?? Find out FREE!
      http://www.typingcertification.com/

      ===========================

      Teaching English with Edutainment Fun and Games!
      http://www.eslgames.com/edutainment/

      ====TRANSLATORS!!==================
      Our company is pleased to provide you with practical and useful
      pocket devices for learning the English language: Electronic
      Pocket Talking Translators made by Ectaco, Inc.
      We offer over 60 translators models for English, French,
      German, Russian, Spanish, Chinese and 20 more languages.
      They include over 400,000 words, a Grammar book, TOEFL,
      Word Games, Accent Correction and Voice Translation systems.
      Don't wait any longer! Make your order now and enjoy special
      holiday season discounts and free gifts coming with any
      translator bought at:
      http://www.webtickers.com/ectaco/

      =========================
      EslGames.com Famous Quotes!
      =========================

      "It took me a long time not to judge myself through someone
      else's eyes."
      --Sally Fields

      You have brains in your head.
      You have feet in your shoes.
      You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
      You're on your own.
      And you know what you know.
      And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go....
      --Dr. Seuss

      The real object of education is to have a man
      in the condition of continually asking questions.
      --Bishop Creighton

      ============================

      Teaching English with Songs and Music
      http://eslgames.com/edutainment/songs.htm

      Popular songs are very successful for teaching language.
      Here are some free song worksheets for you to print out!
      http://www.eslgames.com/teachingsongs/

      ============================

      "Don't cry about loss--God never takes anything away without
      replacing it. Think positive, especially in times of difficulty"
      -- Unknown

      "Whatever he undertook,
      he did with his whole soul."
      --E.T. Bell writing about Descartes "Men of Mathematics"

      "Fear defeats more people than any other one thing in the world."
      --Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882) US philosopher, poet,
      essayist

      =====Humor this Month==========

      Very Interesting Facts!
      1. The first couple to be shown in bed together on
      prime time TV were Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

      2. Every day more money is printed for Monopoly than
      the US Treasury.

      3. Men can read smaller print than women can ; women
      can hear better.

      4. Coca-Cola was originally green.

      5. It is impossible to lick your elbow.

      6. Q. What American State has the highest percentage
      of people who walk to work?
      A. Alaska

      7. The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and
      lived in China in 1910.

      8. The youngest pope was 11 years old.

      9. The first novel ever written on a typewriter: Tom
      Sawyer

      10. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents
      a great king from history:
      Spades - King David
      Hearts - Charlemagne
      Clubs -Alexander the Great
      Diamonds - Julius Caesar

      11. If a statue in the park of a person on a horse
      has both of the horses front legs in the air the person died in
      battle.
      If the horse has one front leg in the air the person
      died as a result of wounds received in battle.
      If the horse has all four legs on the ground, the
      person died of natural causes.

      12. Q. What occurs more often in December than any
      other month?
      A. Conception

      13. Q. Most boat owners name their boats. What is
      the most popular boat name requested?
      A. Obsession

      14. Q. What is the only food that doesn't spoil?
      A. Honey

      15. Q. There are more collect calls on this day than
      any other day of the year?
      A. Father's Day

      16. Q. What trivia fact about Mel Blanc (voice of
      Bugs Bunny) is the most ironic?
      A. He was allergic to carrots.

      17. Q. What is an activity performed by 40% of all
      people at a party?
      A. Snoop in your medicine cabinet

      18. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured
      on bed frames by
      ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress
      tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on.
      Hence the phrase "Goodnight, sleep tight."

      19. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000
      years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father
      would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink.
      Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was
      lunar based, this period was calledthe honey month. We know it
      today as the "Honeymoon".

      20. In English pubs, ale is ordered by pints and
      quarts. So in old England, when customers got unruly, the
      bartender would yell at them, Mind your own pints and quarts
      and settle down". It's where we get the phrase "Mind
      your P's and Q's".

      21. Many years ago in England, pub frequenters had a
      whistle baked into the rim or handle of their ceramic cups. When
      they needed a refill, they used the whistle to get some service.
      "Wet your whistle" is the phrase inspired by this practice.

      22. In Scotland, a new game was invented. It was
      entitled Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden....
      and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

      ~~~AND FINALLY~~~
      23. At least 75% of the people who read this will
      try to lick their elbow

      ****IMPORTANT - TEACHERS OVERSEAS****

      GIFT CERTIFICATES

      I live in Japan and sending gifts was always a problem.
      Gift certificates were an obvious solution as you can have
      them posted world wide. Many other merchants don't ship
      outside the USA.
      With these guys it was as smooth as silk, I love them....
      GIFTCERTIFICATES.com
      http://www.webtickers.com/giftcertificates.htm

      ===================================

      Do you have SPYWARE on your computer?
      Here is a FREE test to find out!
      http://hop.clickbank.net/?edutain/trekblue8

      ============================

      I've learned not to put things in my mouth that are bad for me.
      --Monica Lewinsky (discussing her miraculous Jenny Craig
      weight-loss)

      An expert is a man who doesn't know all the answers, but
      is sure that if he is given enough money he can find them."
      --Ray Fletcher (1878-1967) US poet, biographer

      "An expert is somebody who is more than 50 miles from home,
      has no responsibility for implementing the advice he gives, and
      shows slides."
      -- Edwin Meese (1862-1947) US educator

      ======Weather and Time Online========
      If you travel, this is the WEATHER link for you!
      http://www.universityoflife.com/weather.htm
      Also look up the TIME in any place on the planet!

      Send an email smile, click here!
      http://www.universityoflife.com/smiley.htm

      View Edutainment Archive
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eslgames
      ** Feel free to pass this newsletter around ; )

      Great tools at ..
      http://www.eslgames.com

      To join got to
      eslgames-subscribe@yahoogroups.com