  • D Gary Grady
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2001
      E-poshto de Tony Taylor, produktinto de la filmo "Incubus", atentigis
      min pri la jena listo de la perposhta vidbenda butiko "Critics'
      Choice Video" (vidu http://www.ccvideo.com/ ), kiu anoncas la "Top
      20" videbendoj de la semajno:

      Mission: Impossible 2
      Meet the Parents
      Lawrence of Arabia
      Rear Window
      The Patriot
      Remember the Titans
      The Sopranos
      Return To Me
      28 Days
      102 Dalmatians
      Incubus <==============================
      Rules of Engagement
      The Misfits
      Rear Window
      The Insider
      Rugrats in Paris

      (Jes, mi rimarkis, ke "Rear Window" aperas dufoje.)

      Do evidente, la filmo farighas sufiche sukcesa, kaj jen estas
      ebla okazo por informadi pri E-o lige kun tiu filmo kaj filmoj
      ghenerale. Sekvas kelkaj komentoj, kiujn mi lastatempe sendis
      al studento che NYU kiu verkas artikolon pri "Incubus" kaj E-o
      (shi intervjuis min ankau telefone):

      A few quick notes of possible interest: While INCUBUS is the only
      U.S. feature film ever shot entirely in Esperanto, the language
      shows up in a number of others. It's heard on voice-over
      announcements in "Gattaca" and seen on street signs in Chaplin's
      "The Great Dictator," for example.

      There's quite a lot of it in Clark Gable's other major 1939 film
      (other than GWTW, I mean), the underappreciated "Idiot's Delight"
      with Norma Shearer. This is the film with Gable's famous song
      and dance performance of "Puttin' on the Ritz." Incidentally,
      costar Norma Shearer once autographed a photo in Esperanto for
      collector Forrest J. Ackerman, and Ackerman mentions on his web site
      that he and Leo G. Carroll ("North by Northwest," "The Man from
      Uncle") sang in Esperanto together one New Year's morning, for what
      that's worth.

      Finally, in the very first Hope/Crosby/Lamour "Road" movie, "The
      Road to Singapore," there's a big production number about 3/4 of
      the way through, in which, believe it or not, a group of South Sea
      islanders sing in Esperanto. That song, "Jen la Luno Nova" ("Behold
      the New Moon") must have been written for the film, but I have
      never been able to find out by whom. Someday I'll have to invade
      the Paramount archives and see if they have anything on file that
      would shed light on that.

      And while I don't want to overload you with stuff you might not
      be able to use, I'd feel remiss if I didn't mention a few popular

      "Esperanto died out years ago": Well, obviously not. "The World
      Almanac" puts the number of Esperanto speakers at around 2
      million. I've been at Esperanto conventions in Europe with several
      thousand people each. [Mi skribis tion antau ol mi informighis, ke
      la "World Almanac" ne plu mencias E-on.]

      "Esperanto was supposed to end war": That would be a pretty naive
      idea, but nobody believes it or ever has. Some have suggested
      that Esperanto, being politically neutral and remarkably easy to
      learn, might be a useful way of getting individuals talking
      across language boundaries, but that's a far cry from making it
      a magic road to peace. Most Esperanto speakers seem to have more
      practical interests, such as using it in travel and international

      "Esperanto isn't a 'real' language": This misconception probably
      stems from the idea that Esperanto is "artificial" or "planned" --
      a misconception shared even by many speakers of the language. In
      reality, while the core of the language was planned, the vast bulk
      of modern Esperanto has evolved naturally in use, just the way all
      living languages do. In any case, there has been some quite good
      poetry in Esperanto, and Scots poet William Auld was nominated by
      PEN International for the Nobel Prize in Literature for his writing
      in Esperanto. It's hard to imagine how one could write literature
      in something that isn't a language.

      D Gary Grady
      Durham NC USA