Re: To Bri'aitsya and ALL CREW:

  • Starbirth
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
      accounting summary/investment breakdown:
      Tsa Cluster__C$10 million
      Solar X Shipyards__C$10 million (10%)
      The Elite Team/The Cap'n__C$40 million
      Mr. Nashimura__C$10 million
      Kickback from Williamson__C$20 million
      total investments=90 million
      along with the assistance from Redman-Smith and Kansas Mining this is
      enough to finance the construction of the station.

      i sent word to Rex Rencox already and he suggested/requested we
      promptly contact the Cap'n and rendezvous with him on Alaundril.
      there we can pick up a shipment of equipment/survival gear/habitat
      domes so we can establish a workers' encampment. Rex also transmitted
      to us a list of provisions that he wants us to pick up. if we leave
      the tank we will have plenty of cargo space. the Cap'n has previously
      mentioned that he has ample cargo space as well. construction can
      begin within 48 hours.
    • Bri-aitsya
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
        Well, what are we waiting for? Let's do it. Joseph, lay in the
        course, after you park the tank. Heltbrenner, report to the command
        deck, and Starbiirth, give Rencox an ETA for our arrival in
        Alaundril. Mig, we're set to go, at you command.
      • Commodore Nova
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
          Cancel plans to go to Alaundril. We have BIG problems.

          I just got a transmission from one of my contacts at ShadowRock Base.
          He told me that if we show up on Alaundril, we're liable to be
          arrested and my ship impounded! Evidently, the powers that be on the
          Regency of Bluefall have mustered enough political clout to create
          trouble for us at Babel. I guess someone came forward with video
          stills or something that show the Liquid Sky leaving the scene after
          Bri' summoned that thing.

          So until this legal issue gets resolved, the Liquid Sky is going to
          have to stay out of both Aegis AND Tendril. Any of you crewmates who
          want to risk it are welcome to, but I for one will not. I am just too
          recognizeable on Alaundril, especially in Babel-which is exactly
          where we need to be.

          I am going to send The Cap'n to Alaundril to pick up those supplies.
          Major Heltbrenner- you are welcome to join The Cap'n. You should have
          no trouble with the authorities.
        • Starbirth
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
            this is ridiculous! how can we conduct the business essential to
            establishing the station if we cannot travel to Alaundril? i suggest
            that bri'aitsya turn himself in. after all, HE was the one who gated
            in the creature. for the entire crew to take the rap for this is
            altogether unacceptable!
          • Bri-aitsya
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 1, 2002
              Turn myself in? And how exactly should I do this? Walk up to the
              Capitol building on Regency Island, and say, "Oops! Sorry about that,
              you see, Vector Fields had me & my friends by the balls, and it was a
              last-ditch effort, so I summoned one of the Ancient Ones. My bad!"
              Yeah, that'll go over REAL well. And I suppose that I should simply
              turn over the book, also, as "evidence". The next time you make such
              a blaise comment like that Starbirth, why not run it though some of
              those culture progams you have & see if "tackless" and/ or "just
              plain dumb" come up in the search engine.
            • Starbirth
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 2, 2002
                turning yourself in does not equal an admission of guilt. it is
                merely acceptance/recognition that you are wanted for questioning. i
                thought even you would know that much. apparently i overestimated
                your knowlede of law/legal matters. before you call someone dumb,
                perhaps you should first check the law reference prog in the Liquid
                Sky's computer core.

                perhaps you should consider this: why should the entire crew take the
                fall for YOUR folly? when Commodore Nova was detained by Concord he
                did not try to drag the crew down with him. i strongly suggest that
                YOU check your "culture" progs. then perhaps you will realize it is
                qualities such as this that make him a leader, while you will always
                be a follower.
              • Bri-aitsya
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 2, 2002
                  Turning myself in would lead to a trial, and subsequent label of
                  guilty (unless there's some A-list lawyer out there who knows how to
                  get the charges to go away). It that consequence that has kept me
                  from doing so (not to mention that right now, IO don't exactly have a
                  ride to Aegis).

                  Would you rather I have let Fields do us all in?
                • Starbirth
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 2, 2002
                    i suggest that you simply deny the charges/plead your innocence.
                    there is no legal precedent regarding the summoning of extra-
                    tangential entities. as far as the law goes, the very existence of
                    other tangents is little more than theory supported by
                    mathematics/logic. this would be a very weak basis for the
                    prosecution's argument. a more likely explanation is that the
                    creature, which they assume is external, is an unknown/uncatalogged
                    aquatic species. even if it were external, how could they directly
                    link you to the creature?
                  • Bri-aitsya
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 2, 2002
                      Regardless, I think that I'd need a lawyer (which I doubt that you,
                      Starbirth, regardless of the number of law reference progs you got on-
                      hand, would qualify as). I can't say how strong of evidence I against
                      me, but if the existance of the book, the means by which I summoned
                      Hastur, thus causing that catastrophe, were to come to light, that
                      would certainly put me/us in a very tenable position. It's far easier
                      to safeguard this book, the less known by the public at-large it is.
                      Should the Regecy scrutinize any testimonial I give, the book's
                      existance/ power may very well come out, and then where would we/ I
                      be?

                      I'm going to do a Grid search and see if I can scare up a good
                      lawyer, and put him on retainer. I'll, of course, do this out of my
                      own funds, thereby alleviating fears of jepordizing funding for Kixil
                      Station.

                      [Jack into Grid: begin search= Verge lawyers, speciaizing in high-
                      profile criminal cases; success ratio>=75%]
                    • Starbirth
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 2, 2002
                        true, it is impossible to know how strong their evidence is, but i
                        doubt that they have made much progress in building a case. this
                        appears to still be in the investigative stages. no
                        charges/indictments have been brought against you/the crew. i do
                        agree with your decision to procure legal counsel, but i suspect that
                        they will question you and promptly throw out their case.

                        as far as protecting the Electronomicon goes, answer me this: how
                        will you protect it if/when you are in prison? whether or not you did
                        the deed for which they want to question you will be a moot point,
                        since they could detain you on the grounds of merely resisting
                        arrest/apprehension. they will not accept the argument that you were
                        unaware you were wanted for questioning. further delay only magnifies
                        the impression that you are disregarding/disrespecting Regency Law.

                        besides, unless YOU either willingly or accidentally reveal its
                        existence the public will remain unaware. even if they were to find
                        out, i doubt that most people would even believe that a book is
                        capable of such things. remember, the burden of proof lies with the
                        accusers. since they know nothing about the book/how to use it, logic
                        tells us that they would find it impossible to prove anything- even
                        if they possessed the book itself.
                      • Bri-aitsya
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 2, 2002
                          That's precisely WHY I've not "turned myself in"! If I'm in prison, I
                          cannot even attempt to safeguard the book! Even if they don't believe
                          that this artifact is capable of doing something like what I've done,
                          don't you think they'll get awfully curious about what it CAN do?
                          They may decide to confiscate it for "examination of evidence", and
                          then what? At that point it would be immaterial whether or not I'm
                          guilty or innocent, THEY'LL HAVE THE ELECTRONOMICON!!! And, that, as
                          Kixil Kai's sacrifice clearly punctuated, is worth taking these
                          risks, and legal entanglements.

                          Now, if you will excuse me, I have some Grid-running to do, and I
                          think I need some of that voodoo fraal's herbal remedy...

                          [Gets up & leaves command deck, heads towards own quarters & seals
                          the door]