Re: Discussions on Drivespace

  • Starbirth
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2004
      Starbirth listens closely to the exchange, her face expressionless
      but intense. She replies to Jarrod when he thanks her for the
      layman's explanation of the Transdrive, "There are full holos
      available on the inner workings + a warning holo in the engineering
      sector of Kixil's datacore if you seek further
      information<>knowledge."

      When Jarrod send Starbirth the wireless transmission, she responds
      similarly, "the tsa always seem anxious. i suspect his intense
      interest in the dark man stems from the fact that he is used to the
      more orderly structure of his homeworld. he is greatly
      offended+disturbed by such intrusion. He also seemed to have been
      more affected by the words the dark man spoke. you are perhaps more
      used to such attempts at drama<>sensationalism."

      When questioned by Ttomolas as to when they would resume work on the
      Transdrive, she says: "we will continue our work in the morning,
      then. i will see you in the Engineering Lab at o eight hundred hours.
      bring your engineering tool kit, if you have one. if you do not, one
      will be provided. see you then." [clearly, it seemed as though
      Starbirth was trying to get rid of Ttomolas. she was focusing her
      attention on Lancer, to make Ttomolass feel like the proverbial third
      wheel -at least she thought that was the human expression for the
      current situation.

      > Jarrod slightly raises his eyebrow wiht the unexpected
      question. "You
      > sure are interested in this thing. It did not disturb me at all, I
      > see shady characters all the time. Mostly I see ones that are
      hiding
      > things because they think it's for the better for all, when they
      > themselves are doing more damage then they are fixing." With that
      he
      > looks directly at the T'sa. "Wouldn't you agree?" Without witing
      for
      > a responce he looks back to Starbirth. "Thank you for the
      explination
      > of the transdrive. I don't really understand it, but I do
      appreciate
      > the insight." With that he smiles to her and looks back to the
      T'sa.

      > He imediatly sends a signal via wireless to her. "Why does this
      > creature seem to be anxiouse, and what does he want with me?"
      > Waiting for any other questions that he has, he takes a drink of
      his
      > orange juice and waits for the T'sa to show what he is really here
      > for.
    • Akren Garkos
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 1, 2004
        "O eight hundred hours it is then" Ttomolas replied in his usual
        flaw, yet-slightly-hissing, Standard. "And thankyou for supplying a
        toolkit, I need one; most of the research projects I've done were
        funded by the Cluster government or private Xxakk'sh, hence I've had
        real need for one, although I do know how to use one"

        Noting that Starbirth seemed more interested in talking to Jarrod, &
        that he had seemingly gleened all information he had off the pair -
        which sadly, wasn't much at all - he excused himself, finished his
        drink & took his leave of the pair, scurrying away through Club Kixil
        & leaving via the main enterance in that hurried-yet-quick-way that
        T'sa had a habit of doing.

        Once outside, he made his way back to the weapons locker nearby where
        he had stashed his gear - making sure he was not followed, nor anyone
        was around - before removing his weapons & replacing them on his
        person as he had before. Checking his internal dataslots, he accessed
        his nueral link with Plato & gained access to the information Plato
        had downloaded for him on the Ghardhyi, per his instructions earlier,
        reviewing the data. If the Dark Man truly was a Ghardhyi, it would
        fit that his general habits & mental profile would fit the standards
        for his species. In spite of his individual personal habits, he
        should keep within the know species traits common to his race. Some
        things were just genetically hardwired into a being, either way.

        Another thing that arroused his curiousity : although the rest of
        civilized, sentient society through the known universe knew little
        about the Externals, the Capt'n's database seemed to contain
        information that not even Ttomolas knew about - & he'd been studying
        the I'Krl & the Externals for years - & he vowed to look into the
        Capt'n's captured datafiles & learn as much as he could, ASAP.

        Getting back to the matter at hand, he matched up what he knew of the
        Dark Man - which wasn't much - & got Plato to scan the base for any
        trace elements of those 'breadcrumbs' the Dark Man may have had left
        behind since his meeting with Ttomolas, & for any genetic evidence of
        that might confirm a Ghardhyi - or any other External currently on
        file in the datacore's files - had been on the station recently. He
        hoped that would narrow down his search time a bit. After all, he had
        a mission to forefill, & Bri would be most dissapointed if he
        couldn't catch the Dark Man before morning. Checking his crono, he
        checked the time : 23:00 standard hours. He had rougly seven hours to
        catch the Dark Man before he was due to start Transdrive training
        with Starbirth. Seven hours in which to unravel this mystery, before
        the Dark Man might strike again.....
      • meschman09
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 1, 2004
          --- In escapevelocity2503@yahoogroups.com, "Akren Garkos"
          <akren_garkos@y...> wrote:
          > Getting back to the matter at hand, he matched up what he knew of
          the Dark Man - which wasn't much - & got Plato to scan the base for
          any trace elements of those 'breadcrumbs' the Dark Man may have had
          left behind since his meeting with Ttomolas, & for any genetic
          evidence of that might confirm a Ghardhyi - or any other External
          currently on file in the datacore's files - had been on the station
          recently. He hoped that would narrow down his search time a bit.
          After all, he had a mission to forefill, & Bri would be most
          dissapointed if he couldn't catch the Dark Man before morning.
          Checking his crono, he checked the time : 23:00 standard hours. He
          had rougly seven hours to catch the Dark Man before he was due to
          start Transdrive training with Starbirth. Seven hours in which to
          unravel this mystery, before the Dark Man might strike again.....

          [Clarification on the data from Plato: the two points where
          the 'dark man' appeared were just that: points. Little to no
          movement from point A to point B. The entity was here one minute,
          gone the next. There another minute, and gone.

          Plato would also report that a similar anomalous reading took place
          in the subbasement levels a few months back, but this event bares
          little other similarity to the 'dark man' events. However, the
          eyewitnesses there include Bri', Mig, Starbirth, and Joseph... who
          holo recorded the entire incident... but that holo's security level
          5.]
        • michael
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 2, 2004
            **GM Notes**
            There is no way you could have known this, since there is currently
            no writeup for it, but there is no level 5 clearance. Kixil Station's
            Datacore only has THREE levels of clearance. Everybody who is a
            staffer (and some registered guests) get level 1, the most basic,
            common access. This includes 99% of the content of the datacore. It
            has all the utilities, assist progs, reference databases, and
            everything else residents need to run their daily lives. Officers get
            level 2 clearance. Here is more secure information. Most of the
            engineering database is level 2. Some personnel information is on
            level 2. Most holos logged by Kixil's security cameras and various
            ships security cameras, including the LSII are level 2, but some
            segments are level 3. Level 3, the most secure level is open only to
            the crew of the Liquid Sky, although Dr. Byron Cordel-the Chief Medic-
            has access to the medical record portion of each resident's personnel
            file. That means someone who has cyber would not be able to keep it
            secret by making the info level 3. The info could still be seen by
            Dr. Cordel, or any crew member of the LSII. (If this information was
            withheld from their medical record, the treachery would be discovered
            when they pass through the security suite and get scanned. They would
            be questioned immediately and (probably) denied access.
            It is important to keep in mind that the private information which
            makes up a Kixil resident's personnel file first came from that
            individual. They could have witheld whatever information they so
            chose before the files were ever presented to Security at Abal Relay
            Station. So, for all you hackers out there, don't think you're going
            to find all kinds of dirt on Station staffers by poking around in the
            Kixil Datacore. The only place any real info like that resides is in
            Starbirth's personal system, which is more or less impenetrable to
            hackers. She does background searches on everyone who passes through
            Kixil Station and usually has data on those individuals that they
            would have rather kept secret. Most times she does not reveal
            specific secrets to anyone else, though. Rather she will simply deny
            that sentient access to Abal Relay Station, which of course means
            he/she doesn't get to come to Kixil. Finally, the top three Officers
            of Kixil Station; Nova, Bri', and Starbirth can change the security
            level designation of any data they so choose.
            Another important point:
            Where a Station resident can and cannot go, (what areas they are
            allowed clearance) is based on their datacore clearance. It just
            makes sense that someone who has level three access can go wherever
            they want.
            HOWEVER there are some staffers who cross over and have special
            clearances in order to carry out a given task. Suck tasks can only be
            assigned by Nova, Bri', and Starbirth and only they can grant access
            to the datcore. Typically such special clearance is granted only is
            very rare circumstances, and the access is very tightly focused
            toward the task they had been assigned.

            There in a nutshell is how Kixil Station security and datcore
            clearance works.

            So, Matt,
            That incident would be part of those holos I mentioned that are level
            3, not level 5.

            > [Clarification on the data from Plato: the two points where
            > the 'dark man' appeared were just that: points. Little to no
            > movement from point A to point B. The entity was here one minute,
            > gone the next. There another minute, and gone.
            >
            > Plato would also report that a similar anomalous reading took place
            > in the subbasement levels a few months back, but this event bares
            > little other similarity to the 'dark man' events. However, the
            > eyewitnesses there include Bri', Mig, Starbirth, and Joseph... who
            > holo recorded the entire incident... but that holo's security level
            > 5.]
          • Akren Garkos
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 2, 2004
              Ttomolas hissed in frustration when Plato brought back the
              information he reqested on the Dark Man & the Ghardhyi. Seems he
              would have to try & have a peek at the Capt'n's data files on the
              Externals after all, the intel could prove useful not only to his
              current 'secert' mission given to him by Bri, but also for his
              own....personal project.

              Wandering the halls, annoyed that there still had been no trace of
              the Dark Man & that the only three sites he/she/it had been spotted
              at was Jarrod's encounter, his own encounter with the pest, & an
              undisclosed lcoation in the sub-levels. Sub-levels sounded like
              confined spaces to his way of thinking, & if it was one thing the
              T'sa hated more than threats on Cluster sovergnity & freedom of it's
              people, it was confined spaces & mysteries they could not solve, in
              that precise order. Confined spaces....he shivered in spite of
              himself. Better of in a labour camp than confined like a spardine in
              a tin can (to use a Human qoloqilism).

              "Guess I go & visit Bri'tysa again" Ttomolas said aloud to himself,
              rolling his eyes.

              On his way back to Bri's quaters, he got wondering about that holo-
              vid recording Plato had informed him about. If the event was
              something similar to, & had given off trace readings similar like
              that of the Dark Man's mysterious appearences on-station; it was
              safe to assume that the two events might in fact be related, or even
              one & the same. That would pose some interesting questions, if his
              theory proved true in that regard. Judging by the date of the holo,
              that would mean that if he was correct in his assumption, the Dark
              Man may in fact have been on the station longer than anoyone may of
              suspected.

              'Plato, give me the location & current state of Commodore Nova; &
              tell whether or not his is aware of my current assignment as given
              to me by Officer Bri'tysa?' Ttomolas thought, sending a data message
              to the artifical intellgence; a new chain of thought forming in his
              fast-thinking reptilian brain. 'And if the Commodore is aware of
              such facts, please inform him I am comming to see him about our
              little....pest problem'

              If Nova knew of his assignment, perhaps he could help answer a few
              questions he had forming in his head. Like what, exactly, it was
              they kept down in the sub-levels (& more importantly, if he was to
              eventually venture down there in search of the Dark Man, whay he'd
              need to get him through it); & if he could request access to that
              holo-recording. Ever-so-slowly, piece by piece, this puzzle was
              starting to get more interesting & complex; & Ttomolas had no doubt
              that by the time the entire thing was revealed & the Dark Man
              caught - for a Ka'Nak, faliure was not really an option - that there
              would more than likely more than one surprise in store for the
              station & it's crew.....
            • michael
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 3, 2004
                **GM Notes**
                [As Ttomolas slinks down the halls toward Bri'aitsya's quarters, a
                siren begins to sound. The green illuminated panels in the hall
                change to red. Some Station residents poke their heads out their
                doors, as if to see why the alarms were sounding. Ttomolas notes to
                himself that pretty much everyone is a human- not much diversity at
                Kixil Station it seems.]

                > "Guess I go & visit Bri'tysa again" Ttomolas said aloud to himself,
                > rolling his eyes.
                >
                > On his way back to Bri's quaters, he got wondering about that holo-
                > vid recording Plato had informed him about. If the event was
                > something similar to, & had given off trace readings similar like
                > that of the Dark Man's mysterious appearences on-station; it was
                > safe to assume that the two events might in fact be related, or
                even
                > one & the same. That would pose some interesting questions, if his
                > theory proved true in that regard. Judging by the date of the holo,
                > that would mean that if he was correct in his assumption, the Dark
                > Man may in fact have been on the station longer than anoyone may of
                > suspected.
                >
                > 'Plato, give me the location & current state of Commodore Nova; &
                > tell whether or not his is aware of my current assignment as given
                > to me by Officer Bri'tysa?' Ttomolas thought, sending a data
                message
                > to the artifical intellgence; a new chain of thought forming in his
                > fast-thinking reptilian brain. 'And if the Commodore is aware of
                > such facts, please inform him I am comming to see him about our
                > little....pest problem'
                >
                > If Nova knew of his assignment, perhaps he could help answer a few
                > questions he had forming in his head. Like what, exactly, it was
                > they kept down in the sub-levels (& more importantly, if he was to
                > eventually venture down there in search of the Dark Man, whay he'd
                > need to get him through it); & if he could request access to that
                > holo-recording. Ever-so-slowly, piece by piece, this puzzle was
                > starting to get more interesting & complex; & Ttomolas had no doubt
                > that by the time the entire thing was revealed & the Dark Man
                > caught - for a Ka'Nak, faliure was not really an option - that
                there
                > would more than likely more than one surprise in store for the
                > station & it's crew.....
              • Akren Garkos
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 3, 2004
                  Ttmoloas hissed in surprise & irritation as the sirens started to
                  blared. Red generally meant something bad was happening, & several
                  of the stations staff were poking their heads of their qauters -
                  mostly Human it seemed, not surprising since from what he'd seen of
                  the station staff thusfar (again, he the T'sa beleif that Humans had
                  spread through the stars like a plague - althugh if this was
                  necessarily a good or bad thing he himself wasn't quite sure) - & he
                  was sure that many of them had seen him & the weapons he was
                  carrying (a big no-no for most station staff).

                  He wondered how he was going to explain this one to his fellow
                  station crew, possible excuses running through his mind as he
                  inquired of Plato outloud - as much for his benefit as those around
                  him - "Plato, status report! What, by the Great Spirit, is going
                  on!!?!"

                  As he waited for Plato's reply, he wondered how he was going to get
                  his tail out of this mess. Seems this unexpected development had
                  gotten his snout firmly into shit this time. . . . .
                • Bri-aitsya
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 3, 2004
                    OOC- That clarifies things entirely. As far as the access granted to
                    Ttomolos, I will stick with Level 3, just to keep things
                    interesting. After all, Bri' wasn't exactly in his "right mind" when
                    he granted that access... ;^)

                    --- In escapevelocity2503@yahoogroups.com, "michael"
                    <churchof1000@h...> wrote:

                    > So, Matt,
                    > That incident would be part of those holos I mentioned that are
                    level
                    > 3, not level 5.
                  • michael
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 4, 2004
                      **GM NOTES to Ttomolas**
                      Believe it or not, you really won't be in trouble for being seen
                      openly carrying weapons. It wouldn't be the first time they saw
                      Staffers walking around, armed to the teeth. The only ones Ttomolas
                      has to be concerned with is Station Administration, and since
                      he "officially" has that clearance -thanks to Bri'- he'll be ok. The
                      only backlash I would expect is that those residents who DID see you
                      may very well be suspicious of you from now on. They may spread the
                      word to other employees too. So, being seen with the weapons may have
                      a negative impact on social interactions with Station residents.
                      On a more positive note:
                      The fact that the Security Robot Ttomolas encountered in the hall
                      didn't pull your arms off shows that Bri at least remembered to
                      upgrade your clearances before he passed out.
                      So you're safe as far as Kixil Station Administration goes. If anyone
                      questions you, you can refer them to Officer Bri'aitsya for an
                      explanation and that should be enough to shut them up.