Re: setting the scene:

  • mig_nova
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
      It is true that we could not have retrieved the Electronomicon
      without it. However, i must agree with Sturhnak that the general
      public isn't ready for this stuff. Even if the technology was widely
      available, would it be widely accepted? I know from personal
      experience that many of the foes we face here in the Verge are every
      bit as lethal as anything we could encounter in any reality. But how
      could one convince others of this? Imagine the backlash if an entire
      crew was lost in another dimension! Who would have to answer for
      that? I just feel that somehow this is going to come back to haunt us.
    • sturhnak
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2002
        In the user's own mind someone would be held responsible por this,
        that cannot reasonably be questioned. The question is who? Would it
        be Starbirth who inbented the dribe modipication? Would it be Mr.
        Williamson, or Ion Productions, who made the dribe abailable? Ob
        course, I know that the "responsible person(s)" would not be LEGALLY
        liable por anything that happened to the purchaser as a result ob his
        or her misadbentures in another tangent. Howeber, someone should be
        held MORALLY responsible in a case where neobyte spaceparers simply
        get in ober their heads. My question to the Commodore and the rest ob
        the crew is this: With the extremely limited inpo abailable-or
        reportable por that matter, how could any prospectibe purchaser ob a
        transdribe make an inpormed decision?
      • bri_aitsya
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 2, 2002
          Sturhnak: They cannot make an informed decision, as there isn't even
          enough information to make an informed decision. Maybe we did a bad
          thing in unleashing this. We may have to consider dismantiling it...
          and urging Mr. Williamson to shelve this until we can figure out what
          this is all about.

          What does everyone else think about that?
        • starbirth_inseer
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 2, 2002
            i think this debate is ridiculous. why should it be our
            responsibility to protect others from their own ignorance?! i am sure
            there was no such debate when the stardrive first went into
            production. until the stardrive came into wide use very little was
            known about our galaxy. do you think anyone ever seriously considered
            that we should not explore space because it might be too dangerous?!
            typically Sturhnak, i respect your opinion highly, but you are just
            wrong here.
            all of you need to keep in mind that scott williamson has already
            begun to PAY for this idea. Thus, Ion Productions owns the
            design/rights to the design. at this point it is up to williamson
            what comes of it. before you hold the funeral services for the
            transdrive, i suggest you talk to williamson.
          • bri_aitsya
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 2, 2002
              Starbirth, I am not surprised at your response one iota. Consider
              this: powerful entities such as Steles, and these other entities
              exist in these realms. Exposing people to this sort of hazard without
              cautioning is HIGHLY irresponsible! Consider the unforseen effects of
              fast chips and cykosis, for example.

              I will send Mr. Williamson a message about this debate, once it is
              concluded, with my recommendations for implememtation of this
              technology. As for wheter or not the "Liquid Sky" ever uses the
              transtangental drive again, well, that's Mig's call.

              Let's not also forget that some more unscrupulous types may take
              advantage of less technologically advanced civilizations
              irresponsibly on these other tangents, or possibly cross-
              contamination of extra-tangental species that may be hazardous. Chyt,
              Starbirth, the Verge has enough problems from Externals as is, we
              don't need to add more!
            • starbirth_inseer
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 4, 2002
                wake up bri! advanced cultures already are taking advantage of
                primitive species. the subjugation of the sesheyans by voidcorp is
                the most blatant example. the introduction of transtangential travel
                will not change a culture's desire to control its own destiny by
                whatever means necessary. however unfortunate you believe this to be,
                it is the nature of intelligent beings.
                another point of contention i have with your statement is this: you
                imply that i believe warnings against the potential dangers are
                unnecessary. as often is the case, you are mistaken/confused. i
                believe that the potential consumer MUST be educated about
                transtangential travel prior to purchase. however, this
                responsibility falls upon williamson/ion productions, who intend to
                make the product available. furthermore, i do NOT believe that
                sentients should be "protected" from this knowledge.
              • mig_nova
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 5, 2002
                  I don't appreciate your tone, Starbirth, but you do have a point: Ion
                  Productions should be responsible for all of this. I mean, they are
                  the ones who would take the fall if the excrement hits the turbines,
                  so to speak. Here is what we're going to do: Starbirth and Bri,
                  arrange a meeting with Williamson to advise him on this. Try to
                  report the SPECIFIC and QUANTIFIABLE risks involved. Starbirth, since
                  you like numbers that should be right up your alley. Knowing the kind
                  of businessman Williamson is, he won't go for anything but facts and
                  figures. I doubt very seriously if Ion Productions is concerned with
                  protecting anyone from the shock of discovering the truth
                  about "dimensions". But what he may agree to is some sort of holovid
                  that would educate the buyer about dimensions in general. Hopefully,
                  he would also provide some type of warning as well. I want you two to
                  advise him on what you feel should be included in such a holo. Apart
                  from this our responsibility ends here, unless Williamson makes some
                  specific request for our further involvement.
                  Nova, ova'
                • starbirth_inseer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 5, 2002
                    i am in full agreement, Commodore Nova. furthermore, i complement
                    you on your realistic assessment of the situation. after this
                    meeting, we should waste no more of our time on this. let us not
                    forget, joseph is without a chasis! returning him full functionality
                    should be our primary objective, as he is a vital member of this
                    crew. this is especially true in matters of ship security. we must
                    not let our guard down just because there have been no recent
                    incursions. that is exactly what vector fields wants...
                  • sturhnak
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 5, 2002
                      Unportunately Commodore, I think you are right about Ion Productions'
                      position on the potential terrors transdribe technology holds. I am
                      apraid I have been somewhat oberzealous in my new role as Counselor
                      of the Liquid Sky. Perhaps my pilosopies are more idealistic than
                      those ob sentients in the business community. So, although I still
                      habe grabe concerns, I habe come to agree with Starbirth that this
                      must now be lept to Mr. Williamson and his associcates at Ion
                      Productions. I regret that I may habe distracted the crew in our
                      attempts to procure a new body por Josep. I hab resolbed to do better
                      in my newly aquired duties.
                    • mig_nova
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 8, 2002
                        Don't be so hard on yourself there, Counselor. It will take you a
                        while to get the hang of your new job. Hell, I'm not even sure what
                        all that job entails! Maybe try to keep it a little more focused on
                        PRACTICAL matters involving the Liquid Sky and her crew. Leave that
                        high-minded moral debate for the Orlamu Theocracy and we'll get along
                        just fine.