CFP - Death conference

  • Thom Brooks
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1 1:54 AM
      Final Call for Papers:
      Death: Its Meaning, Metaphysics, and Morality
      Newcastle University (UK)
      July 6-7, 2011

      Keynote speakers:
      Ben Bradley (Syracuse University, USA)
      Mary Midgley (Newcastle University, UK)

      This conference focuses on the meaning, metaphysics, and morality of death. We invite authors to submit abstracts on topics related to the conference theme, such as:
      * Is death 'bad' for those who die?
      * Is immortality desirable?
      * What constitutes the end of a life?
      * Is death a state of being or a process of extinction?
      * In what, if any, sense might our death be a harm for us?
      * May we posthumously harm the dead?
      * Are rights for the living alone? Do the dead have rights?
      * Do we have obligations to the dead?
      * What is the relationship between death and existence?
      * Does a life of integrity or authenticity require a certain kind of orientation toward one's own death?

      Abstracts should be between 150-300 words and submitted by Monday, February 28, 2011 to Thom Brooks (t.brooks@...). Please contact Brooks if you have any questions.

      This conference is sponsored by the Jean Beer Blumenfeld Center for Ethics at Georgia State University and the Newcastle Ethics, Legal, and Political Philosophy (NELPP) Group at Newcastle University.

      This call is also posted to the conference website, www.gsu.edu/ethics, which in the coming months will include accepted abstracts, registration information, conference schedule, and notes about visiting Newcastle.

      Best wishes,

      Thom
      Dr Thom Brooks FRHisS
      Reader in Political and Legal Philosophy

      Department of Politics
      Newcastle University
      Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 7RU
      United Kingdom