Thought: A Journal of Philosophy / Special Issue 'The Metaphysics of Time and Modality'

  • Sweeney, Paula
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2013
      THE METAPHYSICS OF TIME AND MODALITY

      Metaphysicians of modality argue over whether ontology extends beyond the actual just as metaphysicians of time argue over whether ontology extends beyond the present; and we might also ask whether it is a stable position to hold that reality includes the non-present but not the non-actual. There are modal analogues of McTaggart's infamous argument for the unreality of time, and we can ask whether the modal and temporal arguments stand or fall together. We might wonder whether trans-world identity should be treated differently from identity across time, and whether if existence is contingent it must also be temporary, etc.

      For this special issue of Thought we invite papers that make a contribution to either the metaphysics of time or of modality, or that illuminate the connections between them. Papers should correspond to the standard Thought guidelines and be no longer than 4500 words, including footnotes. Papers are to be submitted before 31st May 2013. When submitting please ensure you select article type as “The Metaphysics of Time and Modality Special Issue” to ensure your paper is reviewed via the special issue route.

      Dr Paula Sweeney
      Research and Operations Officer
      Northern Institute of Philosophy
      University of Aberdeen · Old Brewery · High Street · Aberdeen · AB24 3UB

      phone: 01224 272357
      email: p.sweeney@...

      The University of Aberdeen Open Day

      Tuesday 27th August 2013

      8.45am - 3.30pm

      For more information or to book a place, visit

      www.abdn.ac.uk/openday