Job (Philosophy & Economics, U Bayreuth)

  • Niels Gottschalk-Mazouz
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30 6:56 AM
      *Job (Philosophy & Economics, U Bayreuth)*

      Doctorate or Post-doc level, part-time (0.5 FTE). Command of the German language
      is helpful, but in no way required, and teaching in English is welcome
      anyway. Please note that we run a Philosophy & Economics program, you should be
      able to teach selected topics in Political Philosophy or Ethics or Theory of the
      Social Sciences, and if you could connect some of it to Economics subjects then
      all the better.
      Due to technical problems the English version of our homepage is currently not
      available. But you can find information in English about our program at:
      This is a list of our current Philosophy staff:

      Application deadline is by the end of December 2012. Interviews will be in
      January 2013 (for international applicants: by Skype). Offers will be made
      immediately thereafter. Contract should start April or May 1st 2013.

      Here is some additional information for those of you who are not so
      familiar with the German university system:
      The job is suitable for anyone holding at least an MA degree and having a
      substantial Philosophy background, so it can be used as a PhD position or a
      Post-doc position.
      The position is non-permanent, contract duration is negotiable though and
      renewal is also possible. For a Post-doc position the initial contract length
      would be two years.
      Teaching duties are on average 1.25 courses each semester in Social and
      Political Philosophy or Ethics, the exact subject is negotiable each semester
      and will depend on your prior experience, your research topics and your
      qualification needs. You will have some administrative duties, but not much, and
      participate in our weekly research seminars. All this will take approx. half of
      your paid time, the rest is for your research.
      The salary will be between 19.916 and 23.285 EUR per year depending on your
      experience. You will have to pay between 20% and 30% of this for taxes, social
      security & health insurance, depending on e.g. your marital status. Living costs
      in Bayreuth are moderate compared to the rest of the country.
      The university cannot upgrade the 0.5 to a 1.0 FTE position no matter how
      excellent or experienced you are. However, if you are a Post-doc, you can apply
      for competitive third party funding e.g. by the DFG or ERC for the other 0.5
      FTE. Since the success of this is open of course, you should only apply if you
      could live with the 0.5 FTE or if you already have additional funding (up to a
      maximum of another 0.5 FTE).

      You may apply by e-mail, of course. Please send your application to:
      claudia dot ficht at uni-bayreuth dot de

      Kind regards,
      Niels Gottschalk-Mazouz,
      Professor of Moral Philosophy and Political Theory,
      University of Bayreuth (Germany)