1821CFP: LanCog Workshop on Analyticity

  • Celia Teixeira
    Feb 5, 2014

      1st Call for Papers

      LanCog Workshop on Analyticity

      25-26 September 2014, University of Lisbon

      http://www.lancog.com/lancog-workshop-on-analiticity.html

      The notion of analyticity has had a prominent role in the work of many philosophers, especially in the first half of the twentieth century. Following W. V. Quine’s seminal paper “Two Dogmas of Empiricism” (1951) many philosophers have come to regard the notion with much suspicion. In recent years, however, there has been renewed interest in analyticity, but can we make sense of it? What is its philosophical significance? Can it be used to explain the possibility of a priori knowledge? The aim of this workshop is to provide a platform for discussion and reflection on these and related questions.

      Confirmed speakers:

      Paul Boghossian (NYU)

      Bob Hale (Sheffield; NIP; KCL)

      Gillian Russell (Washington)

      Manuel García-Carpintero (Logos, Barcelona & Lancog, Lisbon)

      Magdalena Balcerak Jackson (Konstanz)

      Submission Details:

      We invite submissions of long abstracts or short papers (1500-2000 words) on the topic of the workshop. The time slot is 80 minutes distributed thus: 50’ talk + 30’ discussion. Abstracts (or papers) should be prepared for blind-refereeing and sent in Word or PDF format (.doc or docx or .pdf). There are three slots available for contributed papers (no parallel sections). Abstract should be sent to celia.teixeira@.... The subject of the e-mail should be “submission - LanCog Workshop on Analyticity”. The body of the email should include your name, affiliation, and abstract title.

      (We are able to provide speakers with accommodation for the duration of the workshop. Unfortunately, we cannot cover travel expenses.)

      Submission deadline: June 2, 2014

      Notification of acceptance: July 1, 2014

      Organizing Committee:

      Adriana Silva Graça (Lancog, Univ. of Lisbon)

      Fiora Salis (Lancog, Univ. of Lisbon)

      Célia Teixeira (Lancog, Univ. of Lisbon)

      Sponsors:

      LanCog - Research Group in Language, Mind and Cognition

      FCT Project - Online Companion PTDC/FIL-FIL/121209/2010

      FCT - Fundação para Ciência e Tecnologia, Ministério da Educação e Ciência

      CFUL - Centro de Filosofia, Universidade de Lisboa

      FLUL - Faculdade de Letras, Universidade de Lisboa

      QREN - Quadro de Referência Estratégico Nacional