Re: Let's talk clips.

  • dermestid
    Message 1 of 1195 , Feb 6, 2002
      I haven't seen enough straight clips on clad
      coins to really give you an answer. Perhaps some of our
      clip aficiandos out there can provide an
      answer.<br><br>Since the mechanism that produces a straight clip is
      different from that which produces a curved clip, you
      wouldn't necessarily expect to see a reversal in the clad
      layer that is "pushed down" over the
      core.<br><br>Straight clips themselves are not uniform in the texture
      and topography of the exposed edge. In some cases it
      looks quite smooth, in others rather rough. Still
      others show a sawtooth pattern. It appears that
      different kinds of splitters and cutters are
      used.<br><br>As I understand it, a straight clip can come from
      either the side or the end of the strip. There's
      interminable debate on this issue, so I opt for the broadest
      interpretation.
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10 8:36 PM
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.