Let's talk clips.

  • maaswhole
    Message 1 of 1195 , Feb 6, 2002
      When one looks at the edge of a clipped clad coin
      there is a flipping of the direction the sliver colored
      cladding smears on the edge. I've been told looking at a
      rolls edge, for this flipping, is a good way of
      spotting small clips.<br>Now how about straight clips? I
      assume the ends of srtips are sheared so they would have
      this smearing too, but not nessecarily in a different
      direction, does that sound correct?<br>I thought I read
      somewhere staight clips don't come from the side of the
      strip, but this has to be wrong because we see corner
      clips, which have some of the strip edge. <br>Finally,
      how about the side of the strip, this long strip cant
      be sheared, so does it have smearing of clad? I
      don't have a corner clip could you discribe the
      appearance of the strip side?
      Message 1195 of 1195 , Nov 10, 2003
        It's not often that I address a post this old (8/24/2001). However,
        I did get to see once again the 1962 cent that I thought had four
        sets of raised, parallel profiles of Lincoln. My initial impression
        based on a brief examination at a coin show was wrong. It actually
        had four sets of INCUSE images. It was a shifted cap strike. The
        coin had been struck through a die cap that had experienced three
        previous shift-and-strike events.

        So now I'm back to two sets of expansion ripples as the maximum I've
        yet come across. I still don't have an explanation that I'm
        comfortable with, though.